G0513X - Quieter and Cleaner

glenn bradley

We seem to have quite a little community of 513-whatevers out there. As my saw was winding down a few days ago I noticed a kinda of clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk that followed the motor rotation, not the blade (I dress my welds).

I wrote Grizzly tech support and in their usual fashion, they were all over it. They had me pull the motor cover and found the fan/centrifugal unit was cockeyed. It is retained by a split-collar grip to the motor shaft for orientation and linear position. I adjusted it.

During the time I had waited for Griz to respond (overnight), I had done some troubleshooting on my own. This led me to remove the belt (noise still there of course as I hadn't found the real problem), removed the pulley, etc.

I figured as long as I had the belt off I would put on the link belt that I had hanging on a nail. Along with silencing the clutch noise which I always assumed was normal (till is got louder) and the addition of the link belt, I cannot believe how quiet and smooth this guy runs (nickle test no problem before this effort).

Here is a shot of the throat restricter I added (I've seen these on those cool Italian jobs at the shows) which has drastically helped in my dust collection. I sometimes just seal off the lower hose now as so little dust gets by this area. Hope this helps any others out there who want to tweak their machine.

Attachments

• LinkBelt-CentClutch.jpg
    LinkBelt-CentClutch.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Throat-insert.jpg
    Throat-insert.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 113
Hey Glenn you been busy in the tune up department these past few days. Is this part of spring cleaning. Oops i guess you dont get spring out your way. :thumb: Good idea the upgrade.

About the same with us out here. Spring? Oh, that rainy day we had. :rofl:

I like your mod Glenn. I wonder, can I do that to my Delta 14"? :huh:

What did you use for the brush? Sources? :dunno:

Aloha, Tony

What did you use for the brush? Sources?

The two brushes come with this saw but I know Rockler sells a wheel brush for the generic 14" bandsaw. That's the greatest thing about having one of those 14" cast iron models. There are tons of aftermarket items. I have also seen the head of an old toothbrush epoxied to a small shop made wooden bracket. And I've seen them hot glued to a stack of magnets but that makes me really nervous.

Looks good. I added a hole in the bs to allow the dust to get suck down. Rigth above where you put that peice of ply is the best spot to add the hole other wise it gets packed with sawdust. Plus it helps keeping the whistle noise from the air sucking thru the opening quite down.

The phenolic table insert on my Laguna is drilled to resemble a piece of swiss cheese. The extra holes allow for more air flow down throuth the table to the chamber below it, where the upper DC pickup is. It has the plywood throat restrictor (factory installed) and with it, and the drilled table insert, practically all the dust is captured right there. Practically nothing goes down to the lower DC pickup.

The phenolic table insert on my Laguna is drilled to resemble a piece of swiss cheese. The extra holes allow for more air flow down throuth the table to the chamber below it, where the upper DC pickup is. It has the plywood throat restrictor (factory installed) and with it, and the drilled table insert, practically all the dust is captured right there. Practically nothing goes down to the lower DC pickup.

Is there a chance of getting a photo of what you are describing Jim? Sounds interesting.