This is a piece of eBay wood I've had for a while, and I finally got around to doing something with it. I think it might be the prettiest piece of walnut I've turned, but it gave me fits trying to get a finish I was happy with. I had a few coats of Antique Oil on it and it was kind of streaky since the finish was old, but I went ahead and tried to buff it. The tripoli helped some, but then I made the mistake of buffing it with white diamond. The finish clouded up like a summer thunderstorm. I ended up sanding it all down to bare wood and starting all over, this time using some (newer) Formby's Tung Oil finish. A couple coats later, I rubbed it out by hand with Micro Mesh to 12000, then buffed with just tripoli followed by Renaissance wax. The finial and its base are ebony, with no finish, just tripoli and wax.
It's about 9" wide and 7" tall to the top of the finial.
Attachment 32134 Attachment 32138 Attachment 32137
Comments, critiques, and suggestions are always welcome -