A question for the experts in finishing

Chuck Ellis

We're having a lot of rain this last couple of weeks... it has rained almost every day for the past 10 days... I've been turning pretty steadily, but have held off doing any finishes because the air seems so damp.

My question is: does the humidity and dampness in the air have a real effect on the application of a finish?? :dunno:
I use mostly a wipe on poly and it seems to take longer to dry. I'm still trying to achieve some of the finishes I see on the threads here, so if weather has an effect I want to wait, but I'm approaching a major show and need to get some pieces ready... any advice appreciated.

like as much as not, i've never applied shellac in high humidity. when i started this hobby/obsession, a friend of the family that is in the paint business said that if i did, the end result would be a hazy or cloudy finish, as the moisture in the air would mix in with the shellac as it dries. so i've only done it on days with low humidity.

like as much as not, i've never applied shellac in high humidity. when i started this hobby/obsession, a friend of the family that is in the paint business said that if i did, the end result would be a hazy or cloudy finish, as the moisture in the air would mix in with the shellac as it dries. so i've only done it on days with low humidity.

Dan,
I don't do shellac (yet), but if I correctly read your post you are saying the the humidity has little effect on the wipe on poly??

I have used a lot of shellac and have never had the problem your friend described the alcohol evaporates very fast. The humidity can affect(delay) the drying of varnish some what.

Jerry

Do you have a small heater you can turn on low? If you have a electric heater it will dry up the room some. I have a dehumidafier that runs in my shop all summer.

I have a Goose neck lamp with an aluminum reflector shade. (100 watt bulb) which I locate over the project (not close enough to blister but close enough that you can feel the heat. I leave this on all night and it seems to help cure the finish in cold weather of damp conditions.

You can do the same thing with several lamps positioned over, under, and/or around large projects. :thumb: