Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crib Build (Day 1 - ?)

Crib Build (Day 1 - ?)

I hope to keep a journal here of the start to finish Crib build, and yes! there will be pictures. I have a camera set aside just for this so my kid can look back and say. wow dad.. your crazy. What follows is a todo list that I'll try and keep updated. It wasnt in my origonal post but I thought it would be a good idea to help keep me on track, and also let you know about where I am in the project without haveing to search through all the posts.

To Do List: (■ Done, □ Not Done)
    □ Finish step by step plans
    □ Finish Jig designs
    ■ Finish To Do List (5/17-19/2009)
    ■ Planer Sled (5/10-14/09)
    ■ Table Saw Rip Sled (5/18-19/2009)
    ■ Two Stage DC system (5/15-17/2009)
    □ Router Table(8/22-?/2009) [In Progress]
    □ Wood Steaming Pipe
    □ 1 Slat Jig for flat ends
    □ 6 Slat Jigs for curved ends
    □ 4 Pattern Jigs for curved sections.
    ■ Test stain (5/19-20/2009)
    □ Cut and build Sides
    □ Cut and build Headboard
    □ Cut and build Footboard
    □ Cut and build Matess Platform
    □ Cut and build tottler bed converter
    □ Cut and build full size bed converter frame
    □ Touch up and stain
    □ Sleep

Here it what it will hopefully look like.
    Attachment 32513

And who its for
    Attachment 32146
    He's just so cute!
    Last edited by Chris Marlor; 08-27-2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Updating List

Looking forward to watching this Chris! You have a plan, and thats the best start!

When is your child due? First one? We just found out #3 is on the way and due around Thanksgiving time, which will get me Christmas off from work, yes!!!
    Go ahead and run clown, with those big floppy shoes, you won't get far.

Southern Louisiana

first off congrats on the upcomin addition. my son is the best thing that has ever happened to me. well i guess my wife runs a very close race..

best of luck on the build. i built my son's crib and it was a very rewarding project.

i'll be watching

mike, congrats on #3, that is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Marlor View Post
    .......So all in all it was a learning experience and hopefully the differences between myself and my fathers style of doing things will work out so we can do this project in a timely manor and safely. It just so freaked me out when he was running the wedges through the table saw by hand with no fence, one handed just following the line by eye, and yes not a single one was the same and they all had a curve to them. You had to been there. When one cut was made the cutoff just jumped around from the blade hitting it until he would flick it off... by hand. I love my dad but I worry he may be losing a finger very soon, or worse with him standing right behind small pointed stick a hard kick back might do some realy bad damage.

Sorry for venting a bit but it was just an aggravating way to start off the project. I just hope I donít have to end up taking the project back home for both our sake.

Chris, I think you need to control the build. Maybe I misunderstood how your father was cutting the wedges, but I think it is just a matter of time before your father seriously hurts himself.

I recognize the sled you are building. Personally, I just use a thick piece of plywood as a bed and hot glue wedges (cut on a bandsaw) to the wood bed and the board to be planed so that the board does not rock or wobble. I take very light cuts and it seems to do the trick. But I am only running a couple boards and only occasionally as I am able in most cases to hand plane a flat enough surface on one side so it can be run though the planer.

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    I remember the first diaper that I changed - whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Have fun with your new baby.

What is a "piano top sander"

Well I thought I'd give an update on how things are going. First off I decided to clean up my posts because well I want to keep this thread going in a good direction vs. talking about bad stuff Second I re-did my first post a little adding a To Do list so that I can list out things I need "to do" and check them off so both you and I know where I am in the build cause sometimes I can be a little bit forgetful.

So here is the update on the progress. So far the Planer sled, Table saw rip sled, and the two stage DC unit are done. The two stage dc works like a dream. I'm only getting a little bit of fine dust in the bag and everything else is staying in the can. We donít have a baffle in it but may add one a little later but that should be easy enough to do.

I'll be taking pictures today when I head over, checking some odds and ends, and probably will start getting some small boards ready for doing some test stain samples. Tonight I'll update this post with the pictures from today of what is done.

-As Promised-

Planer sled and table saw rip sled
    Attachment 32590
    Tested out the planer sled and it works, but I need to get used to it more.

2 stage DC
    Attachment 32589
    Works 95% I think I was able to convince dad we should go ahead and try out a baffle and see how much it improves. Right now everything is sill caught in the cyclone so some stuff over time happens to still get to the bag. Over all with this and my dust mask Iím breathing free and clear.

Attachment 32591
    These are the pieces I test planed to 1/2" then cut to 6". I have 3 white and 3 green that Iíll be using for testing out stain. If I end up needing more i still got half the board left plus another thin 8 foot I can use but hopefully these will be enough to try 4 different approaches.
    Last edited by Chris Marlor; 05-20-2009 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Adding pictures

well today I did a lot of test stain samples and i just had to share it, the one me and my wife picked, mainly cause its the first time i ever put stain to wood so here it is.

Attachment 32619
    Attachment 32620

It was alot easier to do then i thought but i will admit i still need practice i might break out the rest of the 4' and 8' x 2" poplar and when it comes time to stain the peice do it on those to make sure i got the hang of it. The steps for this was 1/2 "Homestead Dry Dyes, Dark Mission Brown" and 1/2 "Homestead Dry Dyes, Medium Reddish Brown " mixed with the recomended amount of water. I put this on as 3 coats letting it dry inbetween this gave the poplar a nice uniform dark redish brown base color. Once that dryed I hit it with "Sherwin Williams Wood Classics Interior Oil Stain Classic Cherry" let it sit about 3-5 min and wiped off the excess. Finaly 3 coats of SW-WC clear satin poly

All in all i'm happy with how it turned out.. I did speed through it because dad had me hit it with a heat gun to speed up the poly dry time but when i practice more durring the build i'll let it set the full 24 between coats. We shall see but from a color standpoint it hit the mark.

Let me know what you think. Even if you think its the ugliest color ever.
    Last edited by Chris Marlor; 05-21-2009 at 02:54 AM.

falcon heights, minnesota
    looks good chris
    benedictione omnes bene

5/20 5/24

Well Iíve been working on the project everyday now and hopefully tomorrow will be the day to check the sides off my list. Here is a little bit of what Iíve been doing

The area i have to work in
    Attachment 32805Attachment 32806

The parts planed to thickness cut to width and length
    Attachment 32803Attachment 32804

Working on the curved rail, man I love sketchup!
    Attachment 32807Attachment 32808

Some sanding to do on the mortis and tendons. I'm glad I saved the scrap from the planer sled rebuild.
    Attachment 32809

And where i left it today
    Attachment 32810Attachment 32811

Today was the first day i have ever used a jig saw and router. It was so fun i was almost giggling in my respirator All in all Iíve been having a blast.

I still have some work on sanding the mortis and tendons as they are still way too tight and donít go in all the way. I'll probably make up some new sanding sticks so I can cut the inside corners a bit better. Also I read today when I got home that I should over cut the depth of the mortise about 1/16th of an inch so I may end up doing that tomorrow.

Oh I also got my first two injury, a blood blister from pinching my finger between two boards and a swollen index finger from smacking it with a rubber mallet.

Untill next time! thanks for reading!

Focusing your life on only one path does nothing but close your mind to the infinite possibilities that surround us.

Think out side the box for the box is small, cold, dark, and doesnít have cookies.