Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Added Something to the Booth

Added Something to the Booth

We're halfway through doing a show in Studio City this weekend. It's a nice show, with lots of good "real" art for sale. Weather is beautiful SoCal postcard stuff. Only thing that's missing is the buying public. So far my sales have been low, but hopefully we'll have better traffic on Mother's Day. The other vendors are also sitting around doing nothing. The people across the way from us regularly sell $1500 per day at this show. Today they sold $50 worth of stuff. (They packed up, went home, and aren't even going to try tomorrow.)

Despite the poor sales, I did have one nice little addition to the booth. See if you can spot what's different...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Studio City Spring 2009 Booth 800.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	32153

Here's a close-up that might help...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Studio City Spring 2009 Show Blue Ribbon 800.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	32155

I won first place in the wood art category, against several other folks who I thought had nice stuff (including two full-time turners). Unfortunately, there's no prize money involved, and I don't think I'll be able to deposit the ribbon in the bank, but I was still pleasantly surprised to win a ribbon...my first.

Now if I can have a decent sales day on Sunday, then I'll really be happy.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

It is great to have your work recognized. Selling your work helps pay for the tools, wood and supplies but recognition nurtures the soul.

Congratulations! I hope you have great sales on Sunday.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

I'd be displaying that proudly

Can't hurt sales either!

Hoping for a good day for you on Sunday!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

good for you vaughn
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Congratulations... after having seen some of your work on FWW, I can see why you were chosen. As Mike said, recognition does raise your ego.

Good luck on today's sales.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    www.tellicoturnings.com
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Congratulations Vaughn, a very nice addition to your both!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Only thing that's missing is the buying public. So far my sales have been low, but hopefully we'll have better traffic on Mother's Day. The other vendors are also sitting around doing nothing. The people across the way from us regularly sell $1500 per day at this show. Today they sold $50 worth of stuff. (They packed up, went home, and aren't even going to try tomorrow.)
    Sorry to hear that. where are all those California Millionaires when you need them...

Despite the poor sales, I did have one nice little addition to the booth.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Great looking display Vaughn. Congratulations on being recognized. It would be nice to have a bunch of sales. Sales here are down to. I have only sold about $490 since January at the Arts Gallery. Just nobody buying.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats Vaughn! A nice thing to add to your resume. Sorry to hear sales are off. I think it's that way all over. I'm still debating signing up for a couple of shows in the fall (the sign-up deadline is nearing) Maybe things will pick-up by then, maybe not

Congratulations Vaughn. Your work definitely deserves the recognition. They, whoever they are, say that the economy is starting to bounce back but I sure haven't seen any evidence of it personally. Hope it bounces back for you tomorrow.
    Why has common sense
    become so uncommon?

My Woodwork Site