Added Something to the Booth

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
We're halfway through doing a show in Studio City this weekend. It's a nice show, with lots of good "real" art for sale. Weather is beautiful SoCal postcard stuff. Only thing that's missing is the buying public. So far my sales have been low, but hopefully we'll have better traffic on Mother's Day. The other vendors are also sitting around doing nothing. The people across the way from us regularly sell $1500 per day at this show. Today they sold $50 worth of stuff. (They packed up, went home, and aren't even going to try tomorrow.)

Despite the poor sales, I did have one nice little addition to the booth. See if you can spot what's different...

Studio City Spring 2009 Booth 800.jpg

Here's a close-up that might help...

Studio City Spring 2009 Show Blue Ribbon 800.jpg

:D

I won first place in the wood art category, against several other folks who I thought had nice stuff (including two full-time turners). Unfortunately, there's no prize money involved, and I don't think I'll be able to deposit the ribbon in the bank, but I was still pleasantly surprised to win a ribbon...my first.

Now if I can have a decent sales day on Sunday, then I'll really be happy. ;)

Only thing that's missing is the buying public. So far my sales have been low, but hopefully we'll have better traffic on Mother's Day. The other vendors are also sitting around doing nothing. The people across the way from us regularly sell $1500 per day at this show. Today they sold $50 worth of stuff. (They packed up, went home, and aren't even going to try tomorrow.)

:huh::huh: Sorry to hear that. where are all those California Millionaires when you need them... :(

Despite the poor sales, I did have one nice little addition to the booth.

:congrats::b-day_cake::congrats:

Great looking display Vaughn. Congratulations on being recognized. It would be nice to have a bunch of sales. Sales here are down to. I have only sold about $490 since January at the Arts Gallery. Just nobody buying.

Congrats Vaughn! A nice thing to add to your resume. Sorry to hear sales are off:(. I think it's that way all over. I'm still debating signing up for a couple of shows in the fall (the sign-up deadline is nearing) Maybe things will pick-up by then, maybe not:dunno:

Congratulations Vaughn. Your work definitely deserves the recognition. They, whoever they are, say that the economy is starting to bounce back but I sure haven't seen any evidence of it personally. Hope it bounces back for you tomorrow. :D :wave: :thumb:

Well done Vaughn. Recognition like that is priceless in my opinion. Serves two purposes. Satisfies that inner person, and it assists customers in feeling they buying a work of art from a recognised source. If you have more of them from prior shows, I would create a think hangable glass cabinet and hang em from the back top edge of your booth.

Dont be shy of self promotion.

Ok so I will be too late in responding to help you out for this show but here is a marketing tip. I know we all hate this type of thing but the trouble is it works.

Make up some cheap flyers put a huge 15% discount coupon on the bottom make sure you put your contact details website etc on the bottom. Time bomb the validity of the coupon to suite the show and maybe a week after.

Then take a stroll through the carpark and put a few under the windscreens of cars and make sure you hand out flyers to every passer by.

In these times it neccessary to promote promote promote the heck out of your product. Dont cut your prices, discount on the basis of a special mothersday promotion. That way you retain your normal price.

Best of luck.

Condolences and congratulations!

I have decided that the market won't stand too much in the way of high priced stuff this year so I'm concentrating on slammer, less expensive pieces.

Went to a local show yesterday that I chose not participate in and was glad of my choice.

In the past, I used this show for exposure and to do some small turnings. Never did more than $50.00, so at $25.00 for a booth, I felt that I came close to breaking even. The show starts right after "The Race For The Cure" and runs for 7 hours.

This year, a local Art group combined with the originators and said that they would do more advertising, etc., to draw a bigger crowd. The price doubled to $50.00 plus a $5.00 jury fee. Stopped by at what I thought would be a good time to see the crowd and talk to some artists I know.

A woman who decorates gourds sold three to one customer as I walked by. Pricing about $50.00 ea. A woodworker that makes large inlays sold one piece for $150.00. Other than that the general consensus was "light crowd with hands stuck in pockets!"

Bruce

I'm really happy for you Vaughn, that recognition must encourage you to deepen in your skills, and it will be a good advertising of the quality of your work as well:thumb::thumb:

Congrats, Vaughn! Prizes never hurt. You should put it up on your web site! :thumb:

Saturday, the regional potters had their show nearby here. I've never bought anything, but I usually stop, even though it's crowded. This year, I didn't stop, and there were more vendors than potential buyers in evidence as I drove by. Times are hard even around these parts. It'll pick up eventually, and when it does, you'll be well positioned... :)

Thanks,

Bill