Yet more goblets

A few more goblets. Must make something else or I'll get type cast:laugh2:

Walnut, 4" tall

Natural edged cherry, 9" tall, 2 mm thick with stem of 6mm

Natural edged cherry 6" tall, not turned off centre, just the way the foot worked out when finishing it off. Tried varying the design on this one, still not too sure about it.

Pete

Cool Pete... I like doing goblets myself.. and pepper mills, and bowls, and pens, and tea lights, and bottle stoppers, and game calls, and........ I just did a few out of dogwood that turned out nice... haven't photo'd yet, still in the shop to have a finish applied... it it ever stops raining so the air isn't so full of moisture. I have to try one of those natural edge goblets soon... they are way too pretty.

What do you hollow with... I kinda cheat on the hollowing with a Forstner, then scrape and sand the inside to reduce the wall a little more.

What do you hollow with... I kinda cheat on the hollowing with a Forstner, then scrape and sand the inside to reduce the wall a little more.

I do the whole thing with a spindle gouge. I find that it is easier. To get the thin bowl I slice cut into the bowl and to get the thin stem I stuff the bowl with tissue and bring the tail up to hold it gently in place. This is usually enough to stop it oscillating to much.Really thin stems I slow the speed down as well.

Pete

I do the whole thing with a spindle gouge. I find that it is easier. To get the thin bowl I slice cut into the bowl and to get the thin stem I stuff the bowl with tissue and bring the tail up to hold it gently in place. This is usually enough to stop it oscillating to much.Really thin stems I slow the speed down as well.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I'll have to try the spindle gouge...I sometimes use them as a detail tool, but haven't tried to hollow with one. I haven't gotten to the really thin stems like yours yet.. on some of my goblets where I was putting a glass bulb on a wood stem I've gotten down to maybe 3/8", but no thinner.. good point on the slow down... I twisted a dogwood stem in half at 1/2" the other day... was spinning at about 850 and snagged a catch - I think - not for sure how it happened... was all over in less than a blink.:(