Tablesaw Alignment - Cab Mount Trunnions

glenn bradley

I have been meaning to add another wing to my saw ever since I moved the Bies tube and gained 10” of additional fence capacity. Well the bug hit me as several things came together that I thought would make this a worthwhile effort:
- My cyclone and duct work are in.
- I made an alignment tool.
- I’m tired of stubbing my toe on the wing.

My saw has cabinet mounted trunnions so after I broke everything down, I went ahead and pulled the table (keeping track of any shims that were in place) so I could really clean things up, adjust backlash on the wheels and all that.

22124 Alingment 000.jpg

I like my machines level with Mother Earth so I get the machine level first. There will be some table adjustment that will kill “perfection” so I just get real close front to back, left to right and corner to corner.

22124 Alingment 001.jpg 22124 Alingment 002.jpg

Get that blade at 90*.

22124 Alingment 003.jpg

Grab the alignment tool of your choice.

22124 Alingment 004.jpg

Check front to back at the same tooth area. No surprise that after manhandling the saw and changing floor location, I have some adjusting to do. A socket and a mallet are the first tools I use. I loosen 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the top and tap-tap-tap till I am dead on front to back between the blade and my chosen miter slot.

22124 Alingment 005.jpg 22124 Alingment 007.jpg

On to more stuff . . . . .

Last edited:
Tablesaw Alignment - More Stuff

Lay that blade over to 45* and check it front to back, same tooth area. You could really pick any decent angle but 45* is important to me so I may as well get it as good as I can right there. Aligning these to points requires shimming the table. The long LV feelers are great for this and make it easy.

22124 Alingment 009.jpg 22124 Alingment 010.jpg 22124 Alingment 012.jpg

Through some monkeying around I finally arrive at needing .015 elevation at the right front corner. Four layers of Coke can are .0155 so I’ll try that.

22124 Alingment 013.jpg

OK, that did it for me at 45*. Return the blade to 90* and re-check/re-adjust as required to get aligned. Lay the blade back over to 45* and re-check/re-adjust as required.

OK, I’ve got it dead-on at 90* and heeled away from the fence by .001” at 45*. I wasn’t trying for the heel-out but that was as close as I could get before I realized I could go back and forth all day and never get closer. I also didn’t want the blade heeled toward the fence at 45*.

Last edited: