Adding a Wing to the Saw

glenn bradley

I finally got off my duff and started the process of moving my TS and adding a wing. I gained an extra 10" of fence capacity through shifting the Bies tube but never added the wing to support it.

Here's the existing table top real estate; saw, three wings and router table. You can see the extra front rail capacity in the left of the pic:

1--Current-Real-Estate.jpg

I forgot how many parts there were to this thing:

2-LotsaParts.jpg

I forgot how heavy these were too . . . and I'm adding another?

3-ThreeWings.jpg

Boy this little guy really looks little once he's all on his lonesome.

4-Naked.jpg

I did a cleanup and a full alignment and posted that in this thread: http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14226

It's lunchtime, I'll be back.

Last edited:
I had to drill holes in what used to be the last wing on the right.

Drill-Wing.jpg

With that done I used a couple roller stand to help me hold the wing up whilst inserting the bolts. Using this method got the original two wings on quick. Two more to go.

Roller-Stand-Assist.jpg Wings-on.jpg

Of course no project is complete without having to run to the store for a couple parts that will cost less than the gas to get there and back :thumb:.

hey glen have yu thought about the weight hanging out there on those new wings. now your relying on bolts and the irons integrrity to hold up.. just thinkun out loud,, one is one thing but two is another...

Thanks for watchin' out Larry. I should have shot the first pic from the other side. There is a leg on the right that holds all my accessories on a slide out panel.

TS-Hideaway1.jpg

It will return to that position as it is at the end of the front and rear rails. I will build out more floor standing support beyond it for the final wing and overarm DC mast support. The important thing here is to make sure everything sits level and well aligned without being forced. Once it is standing happy, bolt 'er down. This is definitely a "If in Doubt, Build it Stout!" situation.

Last edited:
Sorry, I wandered off and forgot to post a completed shot. I gained 12" of table top and have 40" of rip capacity now. Thanks to things I've learned on the forum I now have the saw better aligned than ever before to boot. Thanks all.

Attachments

• 6--New-Real-Estate.jpg
    6--New-Real-Estate.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 28