How long does it take to turn turnable?

Tom Baugues

I want to try my hand at something bigger than a Yo-Yo. I recently cut down a apple tree in my back yard. I kept the wood for my fireplace but now I want to turn some of it so I would like to know about how long it would take for this wood to dry out to a place where I could turn it. After finding this site recently I'm now inspired to try to make something larger than what I have done in the past. If I keep some of the wood dry by putting it in my garage....how long? A year...two??? Do I just leave it with the bark on it? I have it cut up into about 10-15 inch long peices that are about 6-12 inches across.

Tom

I did a quick search (sorry, should have done it before replying) and found several good threads about DNA drying. Intresting reading. I've got a lot to learn.

Tom

Tom,
Look into microwave drying as well... takes less time than the DNA..

With DNA you submerge the wood and soak for a day or two, then let it dry for a couple of weeks to a month... depends on the wood.

With the microwave, you can dry pretty quickly... run it for a couple of minutes, let it cool, re run for a couple of minutes, let cool, etc... you'll need to have a means to weigh or a moisture meter to check moisture content... might take a couple of hours or so this way. I start with the defrost cycle for two or three cycles, then up to the simmer/stew cycle for a few... don't usually do more power than the simmer... you can burn the wood if you get too hot and microwaved wood that smokes smells as bad as burnt microwave popcorn.. (DAMHIKT)

I use both methods, depending on what I need to get done.

Last edited:
Tom,
Look into microwave drying as well... takes less time than the DNA..

A microwave...never thought of that. Surly you don't use the "kitchen" microwave. Sounds like it would be fast but I'm not to sure what the wife would think.......although I do get home from work before she does.....lol. I might have to look into finding an old unused unit to keep out in the garage.

Thanks for the information.
Tom

I use the DNA method of drying. I have found fruit wood in a microwave cracks on me. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I think you can dry to quick. I have had better luck with other woods. Yes I would find a old one at a garage sale. Momma doesn't like me using her's.

Dan, I'll echo the other suggestions to turn the wood green, then dry the rough-turned piece. If you try to let a piece of apple wood dry on its own (or most any other type of wood), it's almost guaranteed to crack. I use the DNA method for nearly every piece I do, and have had good success with it.

I AM NOT A TURNER,,,,:D but here there are many that turn there projects green... and use the dna method of drying..

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT TO THE COLLECTIVE:

It should be noted that on this day, Larry gave actual (and correct) turning advice. Phase I of the Abysseration appears to be well under way. Continue with Phase I actions and be on standby for Phase II activity upon further notice.

Resistance is futile.

That is all.

I came home from work tonight and went out for my evening run (jog) and ran past a house that had their trash already set out for tomorrows pickup. There sitting next to the trash can was a very large microwave. I went back later with my pick up truck and grabbed it up. OMG...the stink and filth inside of this thing was almost unbearable. How can people stand to live like that? Anyway I put on some rubber gloves and my face shield and gave it a VERY good scrubbing. It did clean up ok and it works just fine. It is a very large microwave and I will be able to dry some good size pieces of wood in it. So I now have a wood drying microwave.

Tom

A microwave...never thought of that. Surly you don't use the "kitchen" microwave. Sounds like it would be fast but I'm not to sure what the wife would think.......although I do get home from work before she does.....lol. I might have to look into finding an old unused unit to keep out in the garage.

Thanks for the information.
Tom

Some guys do, but I like being married and want to stay that way:D...
I picked up a used MWO at the local goodwill store for about $10...
it's actually bigger than the one in the kitchen.:thumb:

Just be sure you allow the wood to cool between 'cookings'... there are a couple of tutorials on the web about doing microwave drying.

It should be noted that on this day, Larry gave actual (and correct) turning advice. Phase I of the Abysseration appears to be well under way. Continue with Phase I actions and be on standby for Phase II activity upon further notice.

Resistance is futile.

Danger, Will Robinson!!

I have a bad feeling about this.

Resistance is futile.

That is all.

Oh NO NO NO, phase I is not underway, I must and will go and verify that Larry is in a straight (or FLAT) frame of mind. I WILL NOT LET LARRY SLIP INTO THE ABYSS. I got yer back bud :thumb::D