Manzanita & Red Eucalyptus

Mark Cothren

This piece had some major voids that I filled with epoxy/coffee. It was also burned pretty heavy on one side and there is enough of that left that you can see where it was burned. A few coats of antique oil and then buffed...

ManzanitaBurl01.jpg

ManzanitaBurl02.jpg

I got this piece of wood a while back from Vaughn. I've had it sitting on the shelf for a while. After I turned this piece I doubt I'll let any more sit that long. Turns, finishes, and sands great! I sprayed a coat of lacquer sanding sealer on this piece and sanded it down with 600 grit and then back up thru 2000. Buffed with white diamond and then carnuba, and as you can see has a very glossy finish.

RedEucalyptus02.jpg

RedEucalyptus01.jpg

Mark, a friend of mine who lives in the Santa Barbara area, think about the recent fires, told me that the manzanita gets burned during these fires all the way down to the ground. Then the rains come and the root balls wash out, think mud slides, and end up in the ocean where they tumble around for a while and then wash up on the beach.

I don't know if this long story relates to the burned area on your piece or not.

I like manzanita very much and I have a nice chunk sitting in my shop that I hope one day to do something with. Hopefully it will look half as good as your piece.

Could be, Mike... I'd love to see if the wood looks any different after swimmin' around in the ocean a while. This guy says this wood he gets is from:

"high elevations in Northeastern California. Tree farmers clear there property to plant trees and the result is a little or some times very large burl found just under these removed shrubs. After the burls sit and cure for about 3 years in the very dry and hot Northeastern California weather we come in and pick them up."

Wherever it comes from, I like it and plan to get some more...:thumb:

See Mark, I told you Calleyfornia had some redeeming qualities. At least there's some decent wood here. :p

Superb work on both pieces, for sure. :clap:

Could be, Mike... I'd love to see if the wood looks any different after swimmin' around in the ocean a while. This guy says this wood he gets is from:
high elevations in Northeastern California. Tree farmers clear there property to plant trees and the result is a little or some times very large burl found just under these removed shrubs. After the burls sit and cure for about 3 years in the very dry and hot Northeastern California weather we come in and pick them up."
Wherever it comes from, I like it and plan to get some more...:thumb:

I used to vacation at a guest ranch "at high elevations in Northeastern California" right along the John Muir Trail.... the place had manzanita growing all around... too bad back then I wasn't into wood turning... could have packed out a ton of the stuff.