freak accident chain saw death, not Family

Frank Fusco

From the news. Hard to visualize how this happened. Illustrates that safety measures and extreme alterness must be exercised at all times with tools, especially something like a chain saw. Very sad event.

<<<OTSEGO, Mich. – Michigan authorities say a man working in his yard accidentally killed his wife with a chain saw.

The Otsego (aht-SEE'-go) couple were trying to cut a tree Sunday when the man hit his wife in the neck with the chain saw.

She died at the scene of the accident, about 35 miles south of Grand Rapids.

Sheriff's Deputy David Labonde lives nearby. He tells WOOD-TV he heard a cry for help and did what he could to help.

The sheriff's department says it's withholding the couple's names until other relatives are notified. The TV station says they're in their 40s.>>>

Saw that on the news this morning also Frank, my mailing address is Otsego, Mi, not sure exactly where abouts in Otsego they are though. Sad situation, and yet another reminder to everyone on safety.

actually its not hard to visualize frank... she may have been bennding down to get some of the pieces he had cut of and the saw kicked back and got her..i have seen others make foolish moves of this nature when another was sawing near them.. i dont practice such methods but have seen some that do. you dont cut where others are, you move to another spot and let them clear out the wood and then go back to it if need be. its a sad story and one that many will never forget.

actually its not hard to visualize frank... she may have been bennding down to get some of the pieces he had cut of and the saw kicked back and got her..i have seen others make foolish moves of this nature when another was sawing near them.. i dont practice such methods but have seen some that do. you dont cut where others are, you move to another spot and let them clear out the wood and then go back to it if need be. its a sad story and one that many will never forget.

You are right. Never use chain saw with others nearby.
And, the poor husband, he certainly will never forget.

Frank that makes 2 fatalities in Michigan from chainsaws this year that I know of. I worked as a sawyer for a while and cringe every time I hear of this kind of thing. I know of quite a few fatalities like these and every one I had information about, it was operator error. I will not hesitate to correct someone cutting in an unsafe manner. I spent over a year working to clear log jambs in some local rivers. Our crew got a lot of training from yours truly and nobody got hurt. A few did take a bath and that always cost them a case of beer. :D
Logging was the MOST dangerous job in America last time I checked. Dealing with huge suspended weight and sharp tools can easily be fatal or maiming real fast. The worst accident I ever had was falling on my running saw when a log pile rolled. I ALWAYS lock the chain before moving so all I got was a few scratches.

I get calls to take down problem/dangerous trees on occasion Some I just pull down with a cable, cause i don't want to be anywhere near them, let alone cut into them.

I always recommend to the newbies that they spend some time on the Forestry Forum reading in the safety section to learn as much about the subject as possible.