dogwood bowl

I know my stuff don't compare with most here but, as i,ll never get where ya'll are with out trying.This is a piece i ruffed out about a week or more a go.It's dogwood burl about 41/2x2.The rim kept wanting to fall apart so i finilly just left it a little on the natural side.:rolleyes:Wish i could afford a better camera, maybe the pics would of come out better.:dunno:
Thanks and all comments welcome.Steve

Attachments

• 003 [800x600].JPG
    003 [800x600].JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 002 [800x600].JPG
    002 [800x600].JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 001 [800x600].JPG
    001 [800x600].JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 69
Looks to me like you did a fine job, Stephen. That's some wild-looking wood, and your bowl came out looking nice. :thumb:

What kind of camera are you using? Maybe one of us here might be able to help you get better pics with that you've already got. ;)

Stephen,
Very nice bowl... I like the "natural" aspect of it...
I picked up some dogwood a while back and have been playing with it... it's nice wood to turn. I turned a nice little natural edge bowl about 7 in diameter... as it dried it warped into a very nice oval..
7 1/4 x 6 1/2 and about 2 inches high with the bark all around the rim and looked like it was staying on.... rigged it up to take the tenon of the bottom and promptly cut the bottom out of it... didn't realize I was so thin on the bottom:eek::(

Now that the rains have stopped for a couple of days, maybe I can get some finish on the wood...

Very nice bowl from a one fingered guy!!!:eek::huh::dunno::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Heck, nothing wrong with that there photo, my eyes make everything look blurry/smudged without my glasses on!!!! That Kodak can do a little better, some here will help (they are still trying to help me!!!!!) something about the little flower in the corner of the screen, think you want it on. When I make bowls, I only make waterfowl bowls, I have to DUCK cause they want to FLY!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::D:eek::doh::huh::dunno::rofl::rofl:

Stephen, nice bowl. On your photos, that camera will not focus closer than 2.8 feet. I think if you set to highest quality, stay 3 feet from your bowl, and then use the kodak or other software to crop in closer after you've taken the photo from 3 feet away, you will get a better overall photo. At maximum quality you should still have a high enough resolution for web and email after the crop. Might at least be worth a try.

ken

Stephen,
Very nice bowl... I like the "natural" aspect of it...
I picked up some dogwood a while back and have been playing with it... it's nice wood to turn. I turned a nice little natural edge bowl about 7 in diameter... as it dried it warped into a very nice oval..
7 1/4 x 6 1/2 and about 2 inches high with the bark all around the rim and looked like it was staying on.... rigged it up to take the tenon of the bottom and promptly cut the bottom out of it... didn't realize I was so thin on the bottom:eek::(

Now that the rains have stopped for a couple of days, maybe I can get some finish on the wood...

Chuck did you have your dogwood fall apart on you at the growth rings?I tryed 4 pieces that just came a part at the rings.Not sure if it was just that tree or the nature of the beast(so to speek)
Don't ya just hate it when the bottom falls out.:eek:
steve

Very nice bowl from a one fingered guy!!!:eek::huh::dunno::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Heck, nothing wrong with that there photo, my eyes make everything look blurry/smudged without my glasses on!!!! That Kodak can do a little better, some here will help (they are still trying to help me!!!!!) something about the little flower in the corner of the screen, think you want it on. When I make bowls, I only make waterfowl bowls, I have to DUCK cause they want to FLY!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::D:eek::doh::huh::dunno::rofl::rofl:
Jonathan really it's a 7 finger ,2 thumb kind of guy:rofl:That's my excuse for being only able to type with one of them fingers.:D
Stephen, nice bowl. On your photos, that camera will not focus closer than 2.8 feet. I think if you set to highest quality, stay 3 feet from your bowl, and then use the kodak or other software to crop in closer after you've taken the photo from 3 feet away, you will get a better overall photo. At maximum quality you should still have a high enough resolution for web and email after the crop. Might at least be worth a try.

ken

Ken at the risk of sounding really dumb(well dumber than normal) how do you set to highest quality.If i was back home in PA i'd just ask my sister in law or there son Scott, as they are bouth top notch when it comes to that sorta thing.O well not in PA i'm down here in TN and will be till the day i die.:D
Steve

Chuck did you have your dogwood fall apart on you at the growth rings?I tryed 4 pieces that just came a part at the rings.Not sure if it was just that tree or the nature of the beast(so to speek)
Don't ya just hate it when the bottom falls out.:eek:
steve

Actually, I've had pretty good luck with what I was working with... small logs all about 4" diameter... I turned goblets out of most of them, except for the one piece that I did the bowl from.. think it was a little bigger log. And also did some tea lights out of the cut-offs on the goblet logs.
Only problem I've had with the goblets, I cut through the side on one near the bottom and somehow twisted the stem off another, but wound up with three nice goblets.... haven't got pictures yet, still need to do a finish on the pieces..

Stephen,

how do you set to highest quality.

Stephen, I'm not familiar with the exact menu system on your camera, but it is probably already set to highest quality. Somewhere on you camera is a button that will turn your viewscreen on the back into a menu list. Probably several pages of menu stuff. On one of the menu pages will be a "quality" or "image size" setting. Your cameras max quality is 4 megapixels. It can also be set for 2, or even 1 I think. But, if you've never messed around with that setting, it is probably on max right now.

Heres a link to the specifications. And there is a link on the page for a Manual if you don't have one. Hope this link thing works. If not just google your camera name and look for the kodak specs link.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=7096&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=3956

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=7096&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=3956