The War in Seattle...

Greg Cook

Well, we had another storm in Seattle, and my 5th (and a top of another) tree came down last night... The wind gusts hit 35mph, but the tree was just too weak. I'm surprised it didn't got across my neighbor's yard, as all the other trees have fallen north. This one fell due south, through my fence and into my back yard. With 5 trees down, limbs all over the place...my property looks like a War Zone!

Yes, inside there is my tractor and trailer....:eek: I had parked it there. Actually I got stuck because the 2 big cedar logs in the trailer are heavy, and I lost traction trying to get up the sloped back yard into the garden Barn for sealing/storage...!

Unfortunately, we have not seen the end of the storms....another is on the way and should hit Friday, according to the forecast so far. Here are pics of the other trees that have came down before.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1133&highlight=bigger

Last edited:

OHHH... That can't be good. We had some heavy storms on this side of the country last night. Thankfully thay stayed mostly to the south of us.

Wow, what a nightmare!

We (New Mexico) are further down the path of the storms. They have brought us a 50 year snow storm and more snow each weekend, with more forecast next weekend.

No one here is prepared for this. NM snow usually melts before the day is over. Everyone is sold out of shovels and ice melt. Our local hardware store got a truckload of ice melt this morning and sold out in 2 hours.

How often does El Nino come?

Gosh Greg !

I lived up the road in Vancouver, BC for 21 yrs and I thought I had seen some extreme weather, but the last few months have been off the chart. I imagine that there are trees down all over the region.

Hard to count your blessings when your property looks like Apocolypse Now, but at least you weren't hurt and you still have a roof over your head.

Keep yer chin up!

Looks like you have lots of trees in the area. If I lost five trees I would be sitting on a bare lot. We had similar storms knock down trees in my KY house many years ago, took me forever to clean up the mess. That was before I worked with wood so it all got cut up for firewood.

Greg, you really need to start keeping up with your yard work, buddy. The place is looking a tad messy. :p

Seriously, sorry to see the apparent tractor casualty, but glad to see it wasn't people or a building. Batten down what you can for the next one.

Glad you are OK Greg, but you have me worried, my kids fly out of Vancouver BC headed back here on the 9th, they fly down to Vancouver from Kelowna on the 8th.

Man if they miss that flight to Tokyo, that is going to be a tough one fo us.....:huh:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you if you do the same for my kids...................deal? :D:thumb:

Wheew. What a mess there Greg. At least you didn't have any house damage.
Have you gotten to your tractor yet to survey for damage?