Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work Shop Ideas Needed?

Work Shop Ideas Needed?

Hi all, long time reader here but dont post much for some reason.

I am finally going to build my workshop/office. I have attached a .pdf file here for those who wish to view the layout.

The foundation pad is going in today(hopefully). I am looking for ideas of things you have "wished you had done" after you finished yours.

I have only included a floorplan but have a full set of architectural plans available.

The following is what you dont see on just the attached floorplan:

Brick exterior
    Shop has a dedicated air conditioning system
    Office will have dedicated air conditioning system
    Shop will have plywood for the walls/ceiling
    Office will be sheetrock
    Stone floors in office
    unfinished concrete in shop
    100 amp electrical service

Thanks in advance for any tips/ideas.

Regards,

David Graves
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by david graves; 05-13-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: forgot to add attachment

How fun. Congrats.

- epoxy shop floor.
    - twice the electrical you could ever think you will ever use.
    - DC/compressor outside.
    - going to the house would have to be extremely inconvenient before I would give up shop space for a shower and toilet.
    - you'll love having the sink.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I was curious about the epoxy floor. I will do some welding in there on my horse trailers etc... and wasnt sure how durable the epoxy floor coating would be. I will look into that some more.

As far as the shower goes, I will be moving my office from the house to the new shop when finished and I am a "early riser" so I will be working the office for a couple hours most mornings before leaving at 5:00 a.m. to head to my "real job". I will shower there to keep from disturbing the wife.

I will be putting the air compressor and dust collection outside as well. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

I will post progress pics as soon as I can get started. I know how you guys like pics.

Thanks,

Make provision for some electrical conduits to stub up in the centre of the floor. That way you can put a receptacle in the floor near something like the position of the table saw.

I wish I done the same with dust collector pipes in the floor or at least a couple of runs from one side to the other.

Guess you cannot do these if the pad is going in today. You might be able to put in some conduit though.

I would also get my trusses overdesigned greater than what i have to be able to use the space overhead for storage. You never have enough space.

Take a good look at the shop tours. Lots of great ideas when you see other guys shops in picture form.

Best of luck with the whole operation. Now should be a good time to build with the economy down and prices low.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by david graves View Post
    Hi all, long time reader here but dont post much for some reason.

I am finally going to build my workshop/office. I have attached a .pdf file here for those who wish to view the layout.

The foundation pad is going in today(hopefully). I am looking for ideas of things you have "wished you had done" after you finished yours.

I have only included a floorplan but have a full set of architectural plans available.

The following is what you dont see on just the attached floorplan

Thanks in advance for any tips/ideas.

Regards,

David Graves
    well dave ,, i too thought the shower was a bad idea but your reasoning is good.. the floor i was gonna sugest putting wood over it, but welding and wood dont mix.. so you will want rubber mats at your tool areas and benchs ,, save he legs and back in time believe me it will catch up to yu.. the DC and compressor outsde of the shop is a must.. and the ducting in my opinion under ground is great but to lat for that now the electrical should be a 200 amp service..you will be surprized at how fast your 100 amp will fill up. and for the ply wals paint the ceiling white and if you like white the walls too.. and run several banks that are switched seperatly of t-8 lights..you dont need them all on at once usually and sometimes you do.. also not sure what your project type is but you should look at a finish room somewhere..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I wanted dust collection in the floor but I have been delayed nearly two months due to rain and trying to finish a remodel on a 9 year old house (Thats another story I will get around to telling soon). I am to a point that I am ready to just get this thing out of the ground.

I agree about the electrical and may opt for a 200 amp service.

As far as a finishing room goes, I have a pretty tight (clean room type environment) room in one of our horse barns that does not stable any horses any more. If not for that, a clean room is a must have in my opinion for any shop if space permits. I would love to have it here, but this home in within the city limits and I had to get a variance just to build this. (what a pain in the rear that was).

Thanks guys and keep any more ideas coming as all are appreciated.

well i have found one draw back with thw dc in the floor.. you cant move it once its there but i got more of it right then wrong..and it was because of the help here that i did..but your shop will evolve, from what you thought was perfect, after you work in it awhile.. mine has.
    Last edited by larry merlau; 05-13-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: fat finners
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

It looks like your doors are 30" I would make them 36" better for resale = handicapped accessible. I am not a great fan of over head doors unless they are the metal ones that roll up above the opening. I don't like the track hanging down & they block overhead lighting when open. I prefer hinged hung doors.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I was curious about the epoxy floor. I will do some welding in there on my horse trailers etc... and wasnt sure how durable the epoxy floor coating would be. I will look into that some more.
    You could leave a "welding zone" that was still bare concrete(?). My buddy and I got houses around the same time. Due to scheduling, he got to epoxy his and I didn't; I've always been sad about that.

As far as the shower goes, I will be moving my office from the house to the new shop when finished and I am a "early riser" so I will be working the office for a couple hours most mornings before leaving at 5:00 a.m. to head to my "real job". I will shower there to keep from disturbing the wife.
    Now there is a perfectly good reason for that bathroom; good plan.

I will be putting the air compressor and dust collection outside as well. Sorry I forgot to mention that.
    This is another thing my buddy got to do that I did not; again . . . sad.

And of course, you are right, we love pics ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    It looks like your doors are 30" I would make them 36" better for resale = handicapped accessible. I am not a great fan of over head doors unless they are the metal ones that roll up above the opening. I don't like the track hanging down & they block overhead lighting when open. I prefer hinged hung doors.
    The two entrance doors are 36" wide. A 3068 door = 3'-0" x 6'-8" . I too like the hinged hung doors better, but with this thing fully air conditioned I need something that I can seal off/ insulate a little easier. The overhead door will be my most economical choice.

Money is tight on this project as the house remodel I mentioned earlier went way over budget; big time. It started out as floors only change ended up as " changed everything but the paint on the ceiling" and I mean that literally.

Regards and thanks for the ideas.