Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biscuit Joining

Biscuit Joining

I am thinking that in making new kitchen doors it may be best to use a biscuit in order to line up the wood for gluing. I do not have a planer, but if I get the glue joints close enough a bit of sanding will probably do it.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive yet good way of doing this???
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

Dan, if you don't have a planer how are you going to make sure that each board you glue together is the same thickness? Buying dimensional wood is no guaranty that they will be exactly the same. There is also some skill involved in accurately placing biscuits so that your boards line up exactly. The point I am getting around to is that you still need a way to plane your glue-ups when things don't go just right. I suggest a hand plane. That is how I finish up my large glue up's because my planer only has a capacity of 13". You live in an area of the country where you can easily pick up a good used hand plane. Oh by the way, I don't ever use my biscuit joiner for glue up's, just not worth the trouble. I really should sell that thing.
    Last edited by Bill Satko; 05-14-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Thibert View Post
    I am thinking that in making new kitchen doors it may be best to use a biscuit in order to line up the wood for gluing. I do not have a planer, but if I get the glue joints close enough a bit of sanding will probably do it.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive yet good way of doing this???
    Hey Dan - I think I already offered, but just to offer again.

I am no expert - but I have glued up a few panels.

I have a biscuit joiner, and I have a planer - and clamps.

If you wanna - we can get together and mess around with that stuff.

Once you see how to do one panel - then you can do others.

I am about 1 hour 20 minutes from you - not all that bad in the whole scheme of things.

You are welcome to come any time. Just need a small amount of notice when you wanna do it.

Thanks Bill,
    When you are talking about a planer are you talking about the "old fashion" hand planer? Wooden with a knife sticking out the bottom of it

Are you talking about the electirc type planer?

I have two hand planes and one is a # 4 I think

Would that be all that I need?

Glue up my joint as best as I can and then plane the surface smooth
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

Thanks again for the offer Leo,
    I am just wondering if we could get much done with having to let the glue dry before we could plane it? I am just starting this project (in the thinking phase) looks like I will be working with Oak and I have a bunch of doors and drawers to do.
    My thought is to get one done to my liking, and then use that process as the template for the others.
    Maybe getting one as far as we could go would be good enough to get me on the right path
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    There is also some skill involved in accurately placing biscuits so that your boards line up exactly.
    Assuming the thickness is the same, what skill is involved other than holding the unit flat on the board?

I don't know that I would want to do door frames this way but it works for the rare occasions that I use biscuits.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Constable View Post
    Assuming the thickness is the same, what skill is involved other than holding the unit flat on the board?
    Biscuits are not consistent in size. By design the fit is a little loose. The biscuits swell in reaction to the moisture in the glue and can be a little unpredictable if not clamped . . . I guess my point is; its not foolproof
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Just to add my 2 cents, I use biscuits a fair amount, but never for edge gluing panels. There are better ways to line up boards, and the biscuits do not add strength, stability or fine alignment.

To clarify which tools are which - a handtool which holds a blade and removes thin shavings is a plane. An electric tool which passes a board through it and removes a layer up to the width of the machine is a planer.

If you get your edges reasonably close, you can improve them with a plane, a planer or a sander. Lots of ways to get the job done. Good luck.

Thanks Ken,
    So if I am understanding you
    Using a biscuit will not nessesarily help with getting the edges closer together if I am careful.
    Using a biscuit will not add strength ( I already know that)

Once I have the boards glued together and can use a plane and or a planer and or sanding to even out my surface.

Would a hand planer be easier to handle and get a better finished product than a plane?
    Last edited by Dan Thibert; 05-14-2009 at 06:21 PM.
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA