Another Flame box elder bowl

Chuck Ellis

I worked up another chunk of the box elder I picked up last month... I wanted to do a semi-tutorial showing the steps as the bowl develops, but not sure how to insert the pictures.. so I'll just put them in regular way.
A couple of views showing the the blank chucked up on a face plate and ready to turn.. The blank is pretty crudely cut on the chainsaw.. my band saw won't handle a blank this size. Surprisingly it was fairly well balanced even as crudely rounded as it was.
Then showing the roughed bowl.. with the bark still on, then with the bark turned away.. with the tenon cut for the bowl chuck.
Reversed and mounted on the bowl chuck and initial face work begun.
A side view that shows the water coming out of the bowl..
Then a few shots showing the nearly completed bowl... I still need to finish sanding it out and doing a finish on it.
As wet as it was, I left it on the lathe and cranked it up to about 1500 rpms for about an hour... dried it fairly well..
I have a show this coming Saturday, but don't think this one will be ready for the show.. I have several other pieces to finish tomorrow for the show.

Attachments

• bowl 001.JPG
    bowl 001.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 31
  • bowl 002.JPG
    bowl 002.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 31
  • bowl 003.JPG
    bowl 003.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 29
  • bowl 006.JPG
    bowl 006.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 30
  • bowl 009.JPG
    bowl 009.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 36
  • bowl 013.JPG
    bowl 013.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 31
  • bowl 015.JPG
    bowl 015.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 32
  • bowl 017.JPG
    bowl 017.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 39
  • bowl 019.JPG
    bowl 019.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 41
  • bowl 022.JPG
    bowl 022.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 39
Nice series of pics, and that looks like it's gonna be a sweet bowl. :thumb: Thanks for posting the pics.

Towards the end of this tutorial, there are some examples of inserting a picture into the text.

Great looking bowl Chuck. Wood kinda reminds me of ambrosia maple instead of box elder.

Bernie,
The marks are very red.. I don't think Ambrosia has the reds.. Box Elder is a form of Maple though.. We have both kinds of trees here so you could be right.. I'm not really good at identifying woods, but when I looked it up on the 'web' what I found looked more like the box elder to me. Since it was already cut, I didn't get to see the leaves. This wood is pretty soft too.. the maple I've turned seems to be harder.