miter saw

Ned Bulken

Hey all you knuckle draggers. I just got done with some wood gloating upstairs, but thought you might appreciate this muscle powered miter saw:
th_realmiterbox.jpg

my dad has this now ,but doesn't have it set up properly. I did a few cuts with it today, and someday I'll be proud to inherit it. I told him I can wait as long as possible.

miter2.jpg

bigger image

and a detail shot from the blade:
detail.jpg

It has a Distton blade in it, evidenced by the button in the handle:
button.jpg

I have a CMS, but I'd love to have this saw in my shop someday. I may not use it much, but I will proudly display it and keep it tuned up for those more reflective moments in woodworking . Hope you liked the pics. (got a new digi cam to play with as of today)

Thanks Ed,
He's had that around for years, but he's not a woodworker, so it just sits in a cabinet in his basement tool room. I told him that if he actually bolted it down to a bench, or set it up so that it didn't slide around on the countertop, he might enjoy it more. I clamped it down temporarily today, and it cuts quite well. Despite being a Normite, I do appreciate fine older tools too.

Don't be anxious to get it Ned, but treasure it when you do. I still have some of my dad's tools, the most treasured a wood block plane he made when he was an apprentice. Some of them I have no idea what they are, or have all the parts for, but they still do and will always occupy a prominent place in my shop.

Funny, I was a card carrying Norm'ster (no disrespect intended) but the older I get the more I turn to the old hand tools.......

Tony

Tony,
trust me, I want him around for a long long time. (but I"m not sure he will be, he has COPD, and isn't getting around as well as he used to anymore). He keeps buying tools for himself, and then telling me that It is his way of making sure I get some nice tools someday. Case in point, he gave me his Ryobi 18V combo kit last summer. Not that he didn't use them, but he had replaced it with the new 36V dewalt combo hammer drill/circ saw/recip saw and flashlight kit.
I got to play with that kit a little today as well. I'm not sure I like the hammer drill, but the battery powered circ saw was a lot of fun.

Langdons are good boxes once cleaned up and oiled.

I only use my miter box when I have some larger moldings or reptitive mitered cuts to make. When I do, it makes short work of it. Make sure when you sharpen it to have about 20-25 degrees of rake and 25 or so degrees of fleam angle on the teeth for a very clean cut. Well, unless you are going for a swifter cut. Having two saws for it sharpened differently is also nice.

Take care, Mike

Langdons are good boxes once cleaned up and oiled.

I only use my miter box when I have some larger moldings or reptitive mitered cuts to make. When I do, it makes short work of it. Make sure when you sharpen it to have about 20-25 degrees of rake and 25 or so degrees of fleam angle on the teeth for a very clean cut. Well, unless you are going for a swifter cut. Having two saws for it sharpened differently is also nice.

Take care, Mike

"rake" and "fleam" Are you allowed to say those things on a family forum? ;)
I have a long way to go in learning this woodworking stuff.

"rake" and "fleam" Are you allowed to say those things on a family forum? ;)

I have a long way to go in learning this woodworking stuff.
Hah! I guess so...

For a good primer on saw sharpening, definitions and how-to, here's a link.
http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html

This site is hosted by Pete Taran, a long time member of the Old Tools list and perhaps more importantly, was one-half of the company which started Independence Tool Company making DT and carcass saws, which Lie-Nielsen bought out in order to start selling handsaws. The other half of the team was Patrick Leach, the guy who has the web site for all things Stanley vintage handplanes [and maintains a monthly for sale list of a wide variety of hand tools].

Take care, Mike