Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Jiggy With It!!

Getting Jiggy With It!!

Well today I got jiggy. I have been working on a custom wooden model of a tractor, and because this tractor must be four wheel drive, I got four times the problems in making the treaded tires. Its a real pain.

It also consists of 4 axis machining. So this morning I set out making a jig to get this PITA done as quickly as possible. I made a bearing and bolt fixture to hold each wheel. I made a 15 tooth gear and ratchet system to index the wheel in the same spot, and then fabricated an extensive system to control a router in the right profile. It took about 4 hours to make.

And in the end?

Well it did not work so I had dinner, retought my plan and went back out to my shop. This time I fabricated a super simple jig, adjusted my radial arm saw and produced my treaded tractor tires in no time flat. You would think that after making custom wooden models for ten years or more, I would have learned to just keep thing simple!!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    What Jig, I don't see no stinking jig..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Steve Clardy Guest
    As in----where's the beef

Where's the jig

Always remember KISS. By the way, you got any pics of those wheels? and the tractor progress?

No picture................................. Didn't happen!

Bruce

Dear Travis ,
    You are taking some heat over no photos. That along with the knowledge you got from the time invested in the first jig seems like your day balanced out. Or did it?
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

My word you guys must have a picture fetish. I barely have time to get in my shop to say nothing about taking picture, downloading them onto my computer, uploading them onto my website and then posting information on here.

Yeah I know I am whining. I don't have pictures of the outlandish jig, nor could I get them either as that jig has been dismantled. I will try however to get a picture on my other jig. Its pretty simple. Just a gear, a ratchet mechainist and bearing/ wheel mount. Nothing fancy, but it worked pretty good.

Yeah Travis....everybody likes pictures. I pretty much always have mine (camera) in the shop or in the truck to take the necessary "proof" that something really did happen

I was gonna break out the "this thread is useless" picture but I saw you were already getting enough heat......remember though, we kid because we care!
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Well put Steve, Stop whining Travis
    Shaz
    I think the desire for a photo of that jig occured because it seemed so awesome in the way you described it, some thing like Leonardo Da Vinci would have drawn in a notebook.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Hey there people. I knew you were only busting my chops. I just wish I had more shop time. The baby has really cut into that, but for the past few weeks, I have used a break in the weather to get this tractor project rolling along. The thing is, I am a die hard snowmobiler and if we ever get snow here, I know my shop time will be nil as I will be on my new sled. The tractor and case is due in April which sounds a long ways off, but in my life, and with my models, time is the enemy.

As for the jig, well the one that works is so simple it would make you sick. I am one of those non-jig building people. Because my wooden models are all custom made (that is, no plans or duplicate orders) I hate spending time and materials on jigs I will only use once. That carries over to this jig though I might use it more often now.