hickory bowls

Here are a couple of bowls i just about got finished.Still needs about 3 coats of laquar.They are about 6 1/2 x 21/2 finish is just sand to 800 then tripple E with the 3 coats of laquar to be added.Started saving my pennys for a new camera so one of these days maybe the pics will get better:dunno:
Steve

Attachments

• 002 [800x600].JPG
    002 [800x600].JPG
    122 KB · Views: 42
  • 001 [800x600].JPG
    001 [800x600].JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 003 [800x600].JPG
    003 [800x600].JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 004 [800x600].JPG
    004 [800x600].JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 37
Here are a couple of bowls i just about got finished.Still needs about 3 coats of laquar.They are about 6 1/2 x 21/2 finish is just sand to 800 then tripple E with the 3 coats of laquar to be added.Started saving my pennys for a new camera so one of these days maybe the pics will get better:dunno:
Steve

I guess this one was to big so i had to reduce it again.

Attachments

• 005 [640x480].JPG
    005 [640x480].JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 25
Good-looking bowls, Stephen. :thumb: How was the hickory to turn? Did you start with the wood green or dried?

Vaughn The hickory was still green tho it was cut about 3 months ago and sealed using some old kilz paint i had laying around.I tell ya what even tho it was still green it was still hard on the tools:eek:I ruffed turned them to about 1 inch about 3 weeks ago then soaked in dna for 48 hours,brown baged them
till this mourning when i finished turning.
Steve

Very nice indeed, you pictures don't do your bowls justice :D ;)

I bet that Hickory is hard stuff, does it have any smell as you turn it?

Have you had a chance to turn any of the dogwood?

I think.............. "think" that is a fairly prized turning wood over here, clear, straight grain with little in the way of color or pattern, they use it, IIRC to make the "Kokeshi" dolls.

Cheers!

Very nice indeed, you pictures don't do your bowls justice :D ;)

I bet that Hickory is hard stuff, does it have any smell as you turn it?

I think.............. "think" that is a fairly prized turning wood over here, clear, straight grain with little in the way of color or pattern, they use it, IIRC to make the "Kokeshi" dolls.

Cheers!

Stuart thanks.As far as the pics i'm wanting to get a new camera,but as i'm a carpenter ,and the way the work has been lately, theres always something that needs my money first.:dunno:
No smell to the hickory to speek of. Ofcorse i've never nad a good sence of smell.
As far as the dodwood you might have a different kind as ours is rairly stright ,and don't grow to be very big.I did turn a few pieces one being a burl that i posted last week.
Steve

Chuch thanks for the offer.Afriend of mine has a cherry tree out in his horse pasture that he told me i could have.It's just a matter of finding the time to go cut it down as he just got remarried and my wife don't care for his new wife.Every time i mention going over there she comes up with something that has to be done right away.
Steve

Cheers!

Stuart,
I got some Dogwood a few weeks back... I had forgotten about the Kokeshi dolls... they are on my list of to-do's. I did some research on them and downloaded some videos of the turners in Japan doing them... it's amazing to watch them work with rather rudimentary equipment.