Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool spoting...

Tool spoting...

Next to the supermarket where I buy on saturdays, there is a shop that seems to build whatever things out of wood or mdf, they have a container outside with wood scraps and this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bs01.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	32462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bs02.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	32463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bs03.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	32464
    This poor bandsaw is stowed away on the open air. As you can see it is getting rusty and it is a pretty big one. It seems that they've replaced it for a more modern one. It looks rather old to me, if you look at the third pic you can see what it looks like oilers to me

Each time I go there I feel sorry for it. One of these days I'll knock on their door and ask if they give it to me, if it stays longer there, eventually it will be beyond repair and end in the junkyard. Unfortunately they are closed on saturdays so I'll have to wait until I have a day off for whatever reason and check that.

My only problem, is where to put it if they give it to me, I think it is too tall for my shop apart from the fact that it must be very heavy
    Last edited by Toni Ciuraneta; 05-16-2009 at 09:18 PM.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I'll bet that saw has lots of stories to tell.

It would be nice if the current owners were interested in getting rid of it. You could always dig a hole in your shop floor so it would fit.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'll bet that saw has lots of stories to tell.

It would be nice if the current owners were interested in getting rid of it. You could always dig a hole in your shop floor so it would fit.
    No joke at all, I've already thought about that, in fact I was given a similar saw some time ago that I had to refuse for that same reason. Even digging a hole on my shop I would have to use it kneeling down, it was higher than my ceiling by about 20 inches.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Bubble roof sky light????
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Bubble roof sky light????
    I wish it could be, but my shop is in the basement, that buble roof would appear just in the middle of my kitchen, so it is a no-no

Thanks for the hint anyway.
    Best regards,
    Toni

Toni, I agree those look like oil cups on top, on both sides of the wheel.

How about a hole in the ground, and an island in the middle of the kitchen, with only drawer for storage.......as the cabinet space below the island would have a bandsaw wheel in it

It is really tough to see a good old tool like that slowly becoming junkyard scrap.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Yep Stu, thinking the same thing, island in center of kitchen only, no under counter space!!!!!!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Toni, I agree those look like oil cups on top, on both sides of the wheel.

How about a hole in the ground, and an island in the middle of the kitchen, with only drawer for storage.......as the cabinet space below the island would have a bandsaw wheel in it

It is really tough to see a good old tool like that slowly becoming junkyard scrap.
    There is also the possibility of setting it up horizontally
    Best regards,
    Toni

Toni, I feel your pain for this old machine, but if you have no room for it, what can you do with it?

Perhaps it is on a base that can be changed, or lowered in height. Since it's behind a wall, maybe it is sitting on something else that is adding to the height. I hope you can get a good look at it, and then see what you can do. But if you can't make it serviceable in your own shop, maybe letting it go is the best.

Also - often times, the big old tool looks so much better from ten feet away, up close, it may be a wreck.

Let us know the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    Also - often times, the big old tool looks so much better from ten feet away, up close, it may be a wreck.
    Bite your tongue!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits