Tool spoting...

Next to the supermarket where I buy on saturdays, there is a shop that seems to build whatever things out of wood or mdf, they have a container outside with wood scraps and this:
bs01.jpgbs02.jpgbs03.jpg
This poor bandsaw is stowed away on the open air. As you can see it is getting rusty and it is a pretty big one. It seems that they've replaced it for a more modern one. It looks rather old to me, if you look at the third pic you can see what it looks like oilers to me:dunno:

Each time I go there I feel sorry for it. One of these days I'll knock on their door and ask if they give it to me, if it stays longer there, eventually it will be beyond repair and end in the junkyard. Unfortunately they are closed on saturdays so I'll have to wait until I have a day off for whatever reason and check that.

My only problem, is where to put it if they give it to me, I think it is too tall for my shop :( apart from the fact that it must be very heavy:dunno:

Last edited:
I'll bet that saw has lots of stories to tell. ;)

It would be nice if the current owners were interested in getting rid of it. You could always dig a hole in your shop floor so it would fit. :D

I'll bet that saw has lots of stories to tell. ;)

It would be nice if the current owners were interested in getting rid of it. You could always dig a hole in your shop floor so it would fit. :D

No joke at all, I've already thought about that, in fact I was given a similar saw some time ago that I had to refuse for that same reason. Even digging a hole on my shop I would have to use it kneeling down, it was higher than my ceiling by about 20 inches.:(

Toni, I agree those look like oil cups on top, on both sides of the wheel.

How about a hole in the ground, and an island in the middle of the kitchen, with only drawer for storage.......as the cabinet space below the island would have a bandsaw wheel in it :rolleyes:

It is really tough to see a good old tool like that slowly becoming junkyard scrap. :(

Toni, I agree those look like oil cups on top, on both sides of the wheel.

How about a hole in the ground, and an island in the middle of the kitchen, with only drawer for storage.......as the cabinet space below the island would have a bandsaw wheel in it :rolleyes:

It is really tough to see a good old tool like that slowly becoming junkyard scrap. :(

There is also the possibility of setting it up horizontally:dunno::rofl:

Toni, I feel your pain for this old machine, but if you have no room for it, what can you do with it?

Perhaps it is on a base that can be changed, or lowered in height. Since it's behind a wall, maybe it is sitting on something else that is adding to the height. I hope you can get a good look at it, and then see what you can do. But if you can't make it serviceable in your own shop, maybe letting it go is the best.

Also - often times, the big old tool looks so much better from ten feet away, up close, it may be a wreck.

Let us know the outcome.

Jeff - I'll be driving along, and see some piece of whatever, "man, that looks great, gotta stop and get it" only to turn around, pull up, and wham, a piece of junk lies before me. Just trying to help Toni feel better, because if the saw is a fabulous beauty, he's already said he has no room for it anyway.

Ken

saw one similar on my way back from the tour in illinoise,,almost went back but just couldnt pull myself to do it.. it was settin all alone in ones side yard at a farm.. i know where to look for it if i had a hankerun but like my luck usually runs it probally was not repairable.. it was a tall one as well looked to be around 30"throat

UPDATE on the saw

As I see it every saturday, the other day I noticed that they had moved it and that I could see more of it, so I clung on the wall and took these additional pics.

It seems that they've tied it to the fence to prevent it from falling as it is on a non very solid base ( a broken pallet or a few boards piled up ...)

As far as I can see it, it has a massive cast iron frame, with a huge table.
Under the table there is the motor with a pulley connected to the lower wheel.

It has a really sturdy guide post and is is completely open with some remains of a protective custom made casing.

Looks as if it could be dismantled to smaller parts for transport so...:dunno:

Attachments

• bandsaw01.jpg
    bandsaw01.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 34
  • bandsaw02.jpg
    bandsaw02.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 37
  • bandsaw03.jpg
    bandsaw03.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 37
Looks to me like it is in their way. I'll guess they would be happy to give it to you. As far as space is concerned, you could keep it outdoors and cover with a canvas. That's what I would do.

Looks to me like it is in their way. I'll guess they would be happy to give it to you. As far as space is concerned, you could keep it outdoors and cover with a canvas. That's what I would do.

Hey Frank! that's an idea! I have to take the decision and knock on their door and ask, it looks quite tall here but it is standing on those boards so...:dunno:

Definitively I have to ask, after all I already have the "NO" so...

If they don't want to "Give" it to you, maybe you could offer to trade some work or something else that you do that they might need done :dunno:

The worst thing that can happen is that they say "Sorry, no" :D

As for keeping it outside, if you have the space outside, you could very easily build a very weather proof mini shed for the saw, just big enough for the saw to fit into, then, when you want to use the saw, open the door and roll the saw out a meter or so to use it.

Keep us posted!

from your pics toni that saw looks kinda like a northfield 36 in its construction.. if you remove every bolted on part including the motor and wheels i`m betting the frame casting alone will weigh close to 1000#:eek: