Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the use of a panel saw?

What is the use of a panel saw?

In order to improve my english woodworking knowledge I'd like someone explaining me if there is a specific use for a panel saw or if it is what could be described as a general purpose saw.

At first glance a foreigner like me would understand that it is for cutting panels, and hence its name. Is that so?

Thanks in advance
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

toni,
    this is what i call a panel saw, it's designed to cut sheetgoods.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Hi Toni,

If we're talking about the same thing then a panel saw is a saw and a "jig" all in one. It's a frame, large enough to hold a full sheet, with a guide and rails so that you can make a straight cut vertically, across the entire panel. Not being a professional woodworker the only place I've seen it is at the Borgs to custom cut a full sheet of material down to whatever size the customer wants. I'm guessing a cabinet shop would also have one to make it easier to chop up full sheets.

Last cabinet shop I worked in we had a pc7518 mounted in it to cut dados with.

Toni, I am assuming you were asking about a panel hand saw.

Per Graham Blackburn in his book "Traditional Woodworking Handtools", smaller hand saws were made in the early 18th century that were called panel saws. They were shorter than regular crosscut saws and with finer teeth. They were designed for use where a smoother cut was required. They were also intended for smaller pieces of wood. Later years this size saw became popular as a general purpose saw for both ripping and crosscutting.

George Ellis in his "Modern Practical Joinery" confirms the original intent of the panel saw as described above.

Bernard Jones in his "The Practical Woodworker" describes the panel saw as a useful all around saw for ripping, crosscutting, tenon cutting; fitting between a full size saw and a tenon saw.

The length of panel saws varied from 16" to 26" in various references. Bernard Jones suggested the usually length was 22" while the Disstonian Institute defines panels saws as being 24" or less.

I could not find any description of the saw for cutting panels, but obviously it could be used for that purpose.

good catch bill! ..........here i was thinkin` "power".

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    good catch bill! ..........here i was thinkin` "power".
    You could still be right Tod. Tony will have to let us know which type of panel saw he was talking about.

They can cut sheet goods(plywood) down to manageable sizes. Most can cut either vertical or horazontal. Some offer a plate to use a router on them. It makes it easy to break down sheet goods before you take the ply over to the ts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Toni, I am assuming you were asking about a panel hand saw.
    Hi Bill, yes I was referring to a panel HAND saw, Tod, Alan, Terry please forgive me if I mislead you, I should have specifyed.

The reason for my question is that I got this oneClick image for larger version. 

Name:	pax1a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	32481 for my birthday and it is a good saw, straight, sharp and new but I can't cut straight with it. (See pics)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pax01.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	32482
    This last pic is the other side or far side of the piece, I've mirrored it.

Name:	paxx01.jpg 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	32485
    It is my feeling that the handle is too big for my hands and that makes me not being able to use it properly, it really feels akward and big on my hand and i'm not comfortable when using it. I've tried to get used to it by cutting scraps everyday but it doesn't work, it just keeps drifting to the left, even crosscuting.

Name:	pax03.jpg 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	32483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pax04.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	32484

I've checked it and it is perfectly straight so maybe it is the problem I have with my wrists that causes that, but it doesn't happen with other saws I have, although they are smaller.

Any hints?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

improperly set teeth will cause a saw to drift. do you have a local guy who sharpens?