Two Windsor Chairs

I've been working on these chairs on and off for a while and finally finished them (see pix). The one on the left is a bowback side chair and the one on the right is a sackback.

Finish is black milk paint with shellac over it. I left the spindles natural (just shellac) to create some contrast in the chair.

I have to sell them - my wife doesn't like Windsor chairs and we don't have any room for them. The Orange County Fair is coming up - I'll enter them, not to win anything, but because I can sell the chairs through the fair. People who are interested leave their contact info and I contact them after the fair is over.

I'll ask $300 for the bowback and $350 for the sackback. That's cheap enough that I should get some takers, even in this market.

Mike

Attachments

• Windsor-chairs-1.jpg
    Windsor-chairs-1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 71
I've always loved the Windsor chairs, but I have never seen them in black :D

Best of luck on selling them, I think you are right, they should sell real easy.

Cheers!

Beatiful chairs Mike. If shipping wasn't that expensive I would take one for that price, I'm pretty sure that they will not come back from the fair.:thumb:

You know Mike, Who ever buys one will want a complete set made too!:D:rofl: That should keep you busy for a day or two:thumb:
I thought of that. I have a friend who makes Windsor chairs (and who helped me with these) and if a buyer wants more, I'll refer them to him and his wife (who also makes Windsor chairs). I was joking with him today about that and he said, "I'd be glad to make more chairs for your buyer but the price would be a bit higher.":)

Mike

Nice chairs Mike. They should sell well. Best of luck.:thumb:

Thats another item on the to do list. I hope to make mine in maple one day. But I would finish it clear to show off the wood.

Mike Nice chairs. I have worked on many original. Did you make these?
Yes, I did make them. Turned the legs and stumps, hollowed out the seat, made all the spindles (and, of course, assembled everything) and applied the finish. I did use someone else's steam box to steam the parts that are bent, and that same person's bending forms.

But beyond that, it's all my effort and labor.

Mike