Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: As a Youngin

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Freeetown, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,019

    As a Youngin

    I remember penny candy - and when you could get two candies for a penny

    5 cent and 10 cent bag of chips.

    Radio Flyer wagon

    KEDS - green soles - you could run faster.

    Puff the majic dragon

    In the summertime was on the dadio

    NOBODY - had A/C

    Dope - was highly addictive and nobody "really" knew what it was.

    We walked to school

    Quarters did NOT have copper in the middle

    Wooden floors in the market.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Posts
    3,132
    Leo it sounds like your right at my age as i remember all of the above.Growing up in PA that walk to school got mighty cold in the winter time.You might not believe this but the first school i went to had 1 teacher,15 kids, out house and that was 1st through 8th grade.
    Buy the way i'll be 51 tomarrow and been married 32 years.So yea i remember them well.
    Steve

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Posts
    1,357
    Tommy Harris and I would take our 25 cents lunch money and walk up to Mrs Kisdukack's little corner store and with that quarter get a 16 oz. bottle of Double cola (like 11 year old kids needed that much sugar and caffeine), a package of Hostess cupcakes, and a Snickers bar and Still got a penny back!!!

    Hmmmmm, Wonder what ever happened to little Tommy Harris???? Great kid, taught me how to swear
    Aloha,

    What goes around, comes around.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Inside the Beltway
    Posts
    2,666
    Geez, Leo,

    Right now, there are people up in space doing shop work on a telescope. With wrenches and screwdrivers! But I'm so old, I was born *before* Sputnik! In other words, when I was born, no human had ever launched an object into orbit! I'm old, I tell you!

    A dime? crackerjack cost a nickle! And I can remember going to the airport to see my grandmother take off for seattle. On a propeller plane!

    Geez, I should just be a grumpy old cuss! Oh, wait...

    Thanks,

    Bill

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Posts
    1,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    But I'm so old, I was born *before* Sputnik! In other words, when I was born, no human had ever launched an object into orbit! I'm old, I tell you!

    A dime? crackerjack cost a nickle! And I can remember going to the airport to see my grandmother take off for seattle. On a propeller plane!

    Geez, I should just be a grumpy old cuss! Oh, wait...

    Thanks,

    Bill
    I'm with you there Bill. Dad took me up to a small park one night to see Sputnik go over. I think there must have been 100 or so people there! Good thread Leo..... Maybe Vaughn will have to change FW to GOFF.... Grumpy Old Fart's Forum!
    Aloha,

    What goes around, comes around.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Posts
    4,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Leo it sounds like your right at my age as i remember all of the above.Growing up in PA that walk to school got mighty cold in the winter time.You might not believe this but the first school i went to had 1 teacher,15 kids, out house and that was 1st through 8th grade.
    Buy the way i'll be 51 tomarrow and been married 32 years.So yea i remember them well.
    Steve
    Steve,
    By the time you were born, I was almost through high school. Would have been the next year if my birthday had fallen earlier in the year. It's mid Sept and the school wouldn't let me start until I was actually 6, so had to wait another year.
    I was in second or third grade when we got our first car, a Modle A coupe with a rumble seat(for a family of 5.. 3 kids under the age of 12), before that we traveled by wagon pulled by mules..
    When I was in fifth grade, at two different schools, we had three classes in one room.. I had 3 students in both schools in the fifth grade.
    In order to field a baseball team at the second school, we had 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th graders on the team, including two girls.. we were undefeated until they decided to add two 4th grade boys and dropped the girls.
    I graduated from high school in a class of 46, the entire school from 7th through 12th grade only had 375 students..
    I remember when the movie ticket was 12 cents for kids - 25 cents for adults, popcorn was a dime, cokes were a nickle.. RC cola was the big drink 'cause it came in larger bottles than coke, Nehi orange or grape was the drink of choice for little kids, or if you liked Strawberry, you could get a Big Red.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Royall Clark View Post
    Hmmmmm, Wonder what ever happened to little Tommy Harris????
    I don't know if anyone ever called this guy "little Tommy Harris".



    I got a chance to meet him when he was still at OU. He's a genuinely nice guy that could most likely rip someone to pieces just by thinking about it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    new york city burbs
    Posts
    10,188
    I really miss one cent bazooka.

    Smashing the taffy bar on the table to split it up with all your friends.

    Being able to go to the pizza place on saturday for the lunch special, 2 slices and a coke for 25 cents.

    Korvettes, as in dept store.

    I miss being able to take the subway, in NYC at 1 am and feeling safe.

    most of all, I miss my 1965 mustang.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Constantine, MI
    Posts
    7,890
    Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    I really miss one cent bazooka.

    Smashing the taffy bar on the table to split it up with all your friends.

    Being able to go to the pizza place on saturday for the lunch special, 2 slices and a coke for 25 cents.

    Korvettes, as in dept store.

    I miss being able to take the subway, in NYC at 1 am and feeling safe.

    most of all, I miss my 1965 mustang.
    Hmmm E.J. Korvetts if I remember correctly. Then there was 2 Guys from Harrison, and S. Klien on the Square. Rickles? $.10 hot pretzles sold by street vendors, dollar a bag white castle, oh yea, and my 64 1/2 Mustang with the 4 speed and 289. Zoom zoom.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

  10. #10
    I remember G.C. Murphys, Two Guys, Full service available at all gas stations,penny candy and I miss my '73 nova.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •