Aparto II - 2012 Update

And is the MIL happy about having two nice aparto's generating rental income?

yeah I love my pocket-hole jig also! The photo isn't clear to me.... have you adjusted the front board up so that it coves the edge of the shelf to hide the plywood plies?

And is the MIL happy about having two nice aparto's generating rental income?

yeah I love my pocket-hole jig also! The photo isn't clear to me.... have you adjusted the front board up so that it coves the edge of the shelf to hide the plywood plies?

No she is just about useless:rolleyes:

Yes, I cut a dado or groove in the edge of the front and back boards to accept the plywood, so the edges are covered.

Almost done!

entrance_done.jpg

that is the entrance way, all done!

closet_clothes_rail.jpg

The closet is finished too, with the addition of the clothes rail under the top shelf.

The only thing left to do is to clean up the bath room and fill the hole where the old heating unit vented outside.

bath_room_hole.jpg

The floor is dirty because the bathtub sat on it for a long time, it should clean up fairly easy, the hole I'll fill with some plywood and blocking and then seal it all up, I don't have any tiles, but I have some of the stuff I used for the kitchen walls that will do nicely to make the wall waterproof. The plumber guys are concerned about disconnecting the gas line from the old heating unit, I told them the the pipe outside the building is not connected, but they don't believe me...

gas_pipes1.jpg

You can see the old pipe on the side of the building, it is not connected to anything anymore, I removed the old pipe when I did the renovation.

gas_pipes2.jpg

Pretty obvious there is no connection wouldn't you say...?

Hope to get it all done tomorrow!

Do you mean to say that your plumbers looked at the same thing you showed us in the photos and they still thought the possibility existed it was connected? Amazing!

Hi Stu,

Or should I say, "Hi Stu the workaholic?" You have done wonders.

With my rentals, I charged a little under the going rate. Kept the places in nearly perfect condition. Never had a vacancy. There was always some one, usually a friend of the tenant, ready to move in. Several times we were not even able to do clean up. The new tenants would say something like, "That's OK. We will take care of it."

It is sad about your MIL. I think I had the best one in the world. It is a wonderful thing to love your MIL. She was just part of our life.

Enjoy,

JimB

Yep, we keep our prices a bit below market value, and we only charge one month's deposit, and no key money, most charge two months deposit and demand two month's key money. We keep the rooms full almost all the time this way.

I got done today, the only thing left to do is the plumbers have to put the new tub in......

bath_room_wall_hole_fixed.jpg

... I fixed the hole in the wall, did it right, waterproofed it, inside and out, should be good to go.

The new tenant came by today to drop off some stuff, I let him move some of his stuff in early, as he lives only about 5 min away by bicycle, this way he can move almost everything by himself to save some money.

Glad to get this done, I picked up a bunch of other little cosmetic loose ends as well, that feels really good to get that done.

The new Tenant is really pleased that I got it all done, he is looking forward to moving in.

Cheers!