Aparto II - 2012 Update

Stu,

Excuse my ignorance, but can you share any good rules of thumb for how to tell if a post (or wall) is structural? See, Doorlink has this plan to open up the kitchen...

My condolences, Bill. You just can't win with that kitchen, can you!?:doh:

rules of thumb...
If the joists run perpendicular to the wall, it's probably structural.
If there is a basement wall directly under this wall, (ie: carrying the load to footings) then it is probably structural. (Ditto for a 2nd floor wall directly above this wall.

Another rule of thumb: If you take it out and the house falls down, it was probably structural. :D

Stu, the NN may be out of the picture, but you've got a whole city full of people who could play an interesting role in the sequel. :p

Hey Royall...pass some of that my way. :lurk:

I can't really pass on much info about "Structural" from here, as these houses are timber framed, so they have a whole different set of rules.

On this type of house, you can actually see that the post sits under a beam, or that it's top is just holding up air, easy :thumb:

Cheers!

We did get a little done today, more of a clean up and organize few hours, than anything.

We did get the sledge and crowbars out for a little fun!

aparto2_from_kitchen.jpg
This pic is looking from the kitchen into the living area, the short wall there will stay, but become a pony wall, and the sink will go there.

aparto2_west_wall.jpg
Looking from the kitchen into the living area, this is the west wall.

aparto2_sliding_door_gone_left.jpg aparto2_sliding_door_gone_middle.jpg aparto2_sliding_door_gone_right.jpg
Looking from the living to the kitchen, we took out the sliding glass divider doors, and the short wall above it.

I got some more construction garbage bags, as we had run out.

Cheers!

I believe it was in Dallas.... someone bought a Million+ Dollar home and decided to refurb rather than bulldoze as was common in the neighborhood.

One day the owners came by, as they did each day, and found the whole house was a pile of rubble... they called the contractor to find why he hadn't followed the contract to refurb.

Answer, the contract called for removing a wall, which nobody noticed was a load bearing wall, and by the time one thing finished leaning into another, the whole house had collapsed like an implosion.

So if you find a pile of rubble rather than a house, it was probably a load bearing wall.

Hey Stu

I see the progress but we have not heard about the TOP (Terms of payment) yet from he MIL.;)

What new tool is on the line for this one.

On the side can we get something else to eat here. The popcorn is a bit dry. We need some drink icons too.:D

As I crawl up to the computer, dragging my sorry behind into the chair, sit down and shake for a few moments............. :bonkers: I'm sick, man am I sick, last night I started to feel off about 6PM, we were really busy at the L shop, hopping, lots of deliveries, and the shop was selling beer like it was going out of style :rolleyes:

About 9PM, I simply had to go home and lay down, I had a fever of 37.7C (99.9F) took some pills and tried to sleep, no can do, man I felt LOUSY. This AM, only a slight fever, 36.9C (98.4F). Not to worry, no N1H1, that is with a high fever, 39C+ (102.2+) and I feel sort of human today, no Aparto work, still got to do the L shop deliveries...........:doh:

Back to the aparto :wave:

We got some good progress, demoed some walls and also lifted up the floor in the one area that I was worried about water damage, the threshold into the Bath Room.

bath_rotten_beam_start.JPG bath_rotten_beam.JPG
As I knew, the floor and the beam under it were going to be rotten, and I was right, but I was also pleased to find that it is very much confined to this area, and not all over, like in the first place.

bath_rotten_beam_2x4.JPG
You can see the 2x4 that I sistered onto the rotten beam about 8 years ago, when I did a quick fix patch job on the threshold, it worked, in that the floor did not fall in, but it was just a band aid on a larger problem

bath_rotten_beam_gone.JPG
I've torn out the entire rotten beam, it is gone, and I'll replace it with a new one, as well as correctly installing the new Bath Room door later, which will fix the problem for good.

While I was doing that Jake was tackling the walls in the other room. He got the first layer of drywall like stuff down, only to find a second layer of what I would describe as "Wattle". Boy is this stuff a mess.

closet_wattle_start.JPG
Yuck!

jake_the_destroyer_1.JPG jake_the_destroyer_2.JPG
Jake put the respirator on and went to work. Fortunately, not all the walls are like this, but there is still a lot of it to remove. I need to remove it, as I want to properly insulate and vapour seal the walls and floors.

closet_waddle_wall_gone.JPG
No more closet wall!

By making the two small rooms into, more or less, one large room, there will be heating and cooling issues to think about, the better insulated everything is, but less of an issue combining the rooms will become.

Oh yeah, while I was cleaning up, I found this printed on the back of one of the chunks of drywall...........
1983_drywall.JPG
........... I'm quite sure that this means "Showa 58, June 20th" which would be "1983 June 20th" making it the right timeline for when these places were last renovated, once every 25 years of so, I guess I'll be back here in 2034 ;D

bags_at_end_of_day.JPG
At the end of the day, we have a good collection of bags of rubble for the garbage guys, I've contracted with them to come next Wednesday, I hope to be able to get the entire inside demoed, except for the floors, by then, but we shall see how it goes!

That is it for now, no work to be done over there until Monday at the earliest, we have our big local festival this weekend, I'll be busy, so I sure hope to kick this bug I got now.

Cheers!

Hi Alex, yes it is.

I'm sure you remember it was rather dark and gloomy, well taking that wall out, really lightened up the whole place :thumb:

I called Jake today, I texted him earlier to say I'd not be by today, as I was sick, anyways, when I talked to him, he said he would most likely get down there a few hours over the weekend and so some more demolition, I told you he was a great guy! :thumb: :D

Stu

Seems to me you took ill during the last reno - any correlation between your uncovering rotten wood and then taking ill?

I wish it was that simple, but the fact is, I run a retail business, and we sell booze and smokes, both of which a certain percentage of the population is addicted to. That percentage will stagger into the L shop, sick as a dog, coughing and sneezing, nose running, eyes blurry, hacking away, just to get their fix. Wonder where we get all of our colds :rolleyes: :doh:

I'm really going to work at getting the pump alcohol spray hand disinfector thing for the shop, I know the monster in law will freak, but that is fine, I'll just have it there for me when I'm there.

All those germs are good for you Stu! Builds up your immune system. :thumb::) I bet you've seen some characters before, probably do everyday.

Boy am I glad it is Monday, bet you don't hear that said often :D

The best thing I can say about this last weekend is that it is over :rolleyes:

Local festival, 18+ hour days, and I had a rotten stinking cold.
Dealing with people dumber than a sock full of soup...... COLD soup....:doh: :bang:
Oh, and it rained..... HARD on Sunday night.... :(

OK, got that off my chest :D :thumb:

Boy we went at it today, "Hammer Time" :headbang:

Smash, crash, bang, biff, boff, slam! :thumb:
SN3D0617.jpg SN3D0618.jpg SN3D0619.jpg SN3D0620.jpg SN3D0621.jpg
We have a lot of bagging to do tomorrow, as all of the this wreckage has to be put into bags to be hand bogged out to the big disposal truck on Wednesday afternoon.

There is just a bit of drywall left on the far wall near the door, and on the right there around the two small windows, then, behind that is more wattle, boy do we hate wattle, it is messy, dirty and heavy, but it will be all gone soon, which will make way for insulation! :thumb:

After we get the debris cleared from the wall demo, then we go to town on the floors, from what we can see, it will be fairly straight forward, but you never know what lurks below the floors!

I know we will have to clean up a bunch of garbage left behind from the last reno, as the guys who did this place seem to use the under the floor area as a dumping ground of sorts.

It will all get cleaned up, we will cover it all with vapour barrier and that moisture absorbing rock stuff.

Hoping to get going great guns here.

Cheers!

Hey Stu looks as though you going great guns at this one.:thumb:

Just thought seeing these pictures, that if you ever come back to Canada you could get a celebrity appearance on the Holmes on Homes show with a reno in Japan. What the heck he is doing one down in New Orleans. I expect he will branch out to Europe next so why not Far East or Near West depending on where you live.:D

Keep up the good work. You still have not told us what MIL has agreed to supply for the dungeon on this one.

Thanks Rob!

To answer your question about what this rebuild is going to buy, well, it has already bought these items......

Milwaukee_5625-20.jpg
The big Milwaukee router for my router table

incra-prl-v2-lift-2.jpg
The suer fine Incra PRL-V2 lift

incra_original_jig.jpg
The Original Incra Jig for my old router table

ls_super_system.jpg
The LS Super system for the new router table.

I'd say I'm doing OK on things so far, but there is one large ticket item that I'll be getting at some point, and that is a BIG compressor :thumb:

Most likely something like this......
hitachi_bebicon.jpg
This one happens to be a 7.5 Hp unit, 3 phase, 200V, it moves 630 liters of air a minute, which is just over 22 CFM, more than I would ever need.

Why buy this big?

Why not, I will have the price earned in the reno, so why not buy the last compressor I'm ever going to buy :dunno:

Some other specs on this unit are it is only 76 dB while running. This unit usually sells for about $5500, but is on sale now for $2800, the economic turn down has hit Japan too.

Cheers!