Aparto II - 2012 Update

Good start! Speaking of air compressors, I was in Northern Tool this weekend and they have Quincy compressors now. I had to do a double take. 5 hp, 60 gallon upright tank, but $1300.00 is a little out of my range, though. Keep at the reno. Fun to follow along. Especially when I don't have to drag the trash to the curb!! :thumb: Jim.

Your really going to town on this one Stu:thumb:. In that last pic it looks like the plumbers went to town on that one beam:doh:. Gotta love them plumbers.
That out to be interesting getting the compressor down in the dungeon. Are you going to put it in your annex.

nice compressor stu!
I figured you'd like that one Tod :D Does it make enough air? :rolleyes:

Your really going to town on this one Stu:thumb:. In that last pic it looks like the plumbers went to town on that one beam:doh:. Gotta love them plumbers.
That out to be interesting getting the compressor down in the dungeon. Are you going to put it in your annex.

Yeah, there are some real issues with the way stuff was modified, I think I'll be adding a few pieces of steel and a lot of wood to things to get it all sound.

Cheers!

View attachment 32838
The LS Super system for the new router table.

I'd say I'm doing OK on things so far, but there is one large ticket item that I'll be getting at some point, and that is a BIG compressor :thumb:

Most likely something like this......
View attachment 32839
This one happens to be a 7.5 Hp unit, 3 phase, 200V, it moves 630 liters of air a minute, which is just over 22 CFM, more than I would ever need.

Why buy this big?

Why not, I will have the price earned in the reno, so why not buy the last compressor I'm ever going to buy :dunno:

Some other specs on this unit are it is only 76 dB while running. This unit usually sells for about $5500, but is on sale now for $2800, the economic turn down has hit Japan too.

Cheers!

On the Incra LS: Yes! I think you'd also love it for your SawStop, but I suspect you have the space for the part that sticks out past the table.

On the compressor: Yes! You're gonna appreciate having lots of air, relatively quietly. (Mine has similar noise specs, with a 5 HP motor, so it "only" puts out about 20 cfm.)

BIG compressor

First of all ,love reading about your renos and tablesaw stuff.But i was thinking if you were ever to use this compressor for Dual action sanding ,the noise from the compressor will be draining and drive you insane.I bought the largest tank possible that i could afford .But I used mine to restore a 1970 mustang in my 2 car garage.The paint on those old cars are like concrete.Anyways thought I give my 2 cents .

ps. my compressor is a stand-up ,less of a footprint

Thanks Rob!

To answer your question about what this rebuild is going to buy, well, it has already bought these items......
I'd say I'm doing OK on things so far, but there is one large ticket item that I'll be getting at some point, and that is a BIG compressor :thumb:

Most likely something like this......
View attachment 32839
This one happens to be a 7.5 Hp unit, 3 phase, 200V, it moves 630 liters of air a minute, which is just over 22 CFM, more than I would ever need.

Why buy this big?

Why not, I will have the price earned in the reno, so why not buy the last compressor I'm ever going to buy :dunno:

Some other specs on this unit are it is only 76 dB while running. This unit usually sells for about $5500, but is on sale now for $2800, the economic turn down has hit Japan too.

Cheers!

At the risk of hijacking this thread... Two downsides that I see of a big compressor...
1. If you just need a little air, it sure takes a lot of energy and time to build to operating pressure.
2. If you leave it "full" the consequences of leaks and burst pipes is great. One friend had a 5 hp compressor in an out-building, plumbed underground to his garage/hobby shop. The underground pipe leaked, and wasn't noticed for some time until his wife asked why the compressor had been running continuously for several days. :eek: After the pipe was fixed, he now has to go out to the shed and turn it on, and open the valves, every time he uses it, then go back to the shed and turn off the air and power. Another friend built a bigger commercial shop, and put compressed air inside the walls. One weekend a pipe inside the wall burst, blew out the sheetrock, and overheated the compressor.

Although I would love to have instant air at all times, it is not on my wish list until I get equipment that needs it on demand (such as a wide belt sander).

At the risk of hijacking this thread... Two downsides that I see of a big compressor...

I leave mine full of air, but cut the power to it when I'm not in the shop. I've gotten hooked having air on demand. LOML even uses it to blow the dust off knick-knacks and such.

For me, the upsides of A) Not running out of air when sanding, and B) Much quieter operation outweigh the downsides. ;)

Leo, this Aparto is about the same size, but I'm renovating every room, except the one the bathtub sits in, so it is a larger scale, but I think it will go quicker, as I'm starting this one with my eyes wide open, understanding that I'm going to tear it all out and fix it all. The first one was more of a step by step up tick in the amount of work that needed to be done.

We have been working, and working hard, I'm wiped out at the end of each day, Jake is working very hard too, it is a blessing to have him here for this :thumb: We have found a number of structural issues, but all of them only require an addition of large chunks of wood to carry the load properly, there is almost no rot in this place, very much unlike the first aparto :thumb:

We have found one footing that needs to be replaced, the piece of wood, the short stubby post between the footing and the floor beam is cracked and the concrete is crumbling, so we will jack it up, and remove the old footing and pour a new one :thumb:

The other footings have all checked out fine, so far.

I guess I owe you guys some pictures :D

kitchen_floor_gone1.JPG kitchen_floor_gone2.JPG
Here you can see that the kitchen floor and floor joists are history, only the main supporting beams remain, boy what a mess :doh:

kitchen_floor_beam_structure_1.JPG kitchen_floor_beam_structure_2.JPG kitchen_floor_beam_structure_3.JPG kitchen_floor_beam_structure_4.JPG
I went at the mess with a rake and shovel, as well as down on my hands and knees to sort through the wood, rocks and dirt, I got it cleaned up nicely. I'll add vapour barrier and the moisture absorbing rock stuff when we move along a bit further.

poorly_done_floor_beam.JPG
This is one that I'm going to fix, it does not make a lot of sense, the second short beam, the one further away from the camera, it is set up so that the floor joists all have to be adjusted around it. If you look on either end, you can see the footing area where you could just rest a beam, if you had the right sized piece of wood. This piece is a bit thinner than the existing pieces, so I guess :dunno: that is why it is done this way.............. :huh:

toilet_area_2.JPG toilet_area_1.JPG
This is the toilet area, I have to move the pipe towards the wall to use the new toilet I bought, I also have to buy a new mesh for the vent hole there to keep out the rats :D

Cont.............

Last edited:
We got the ceiling out in the living room too, there are some real issues to be dealt with up there too :doh:

living_ceiling_structure_1.JPG living_ceiling_structure_2.JPG living_ceiling_structure_3.JPG living_ceiling_structure_4.JPG living_ceiling_structure_5.JPG living_ceiling_structure_6.JPG living_ceiling_structure_7.JPG
The house was extended out by about 4 feet on the NW side and 4 feet on the SW side. They used a large steel double beam to sandwich the old post and then large wooden beams to pick up the load where they removed other posts, but they large wooden beams are basically just sitting in the steel I-beams, they are not really attached in anyway :eek: You can move them sideways with a couple of good hammer blows :eek::eek: :doh: We will be fixing that :D :thumb:

under_livnig1.JPG under_livnig2.JPG under_livnig3.JPG
This is under the living room area, where we have not yet ripped up the floor, it all looks fairly clean, but boy does it look damp and musty, sure needs that vapour barrier!

Well that is it for now, I'll be back at it in the morning, and we are planing to heading to Super Viva Home on Monday for a pick up run of wood for the structural work and for blocking in the walls for drywall etc.

Cheers!

Looks as though you are making fine progress Stu. Certain helps to have someone to work with. I would feel a lot safer working in a place like that with someone at hand in the event something came crashing down.

Forgive my naivety but I am not at all used to wooden structured houses or apartos considering where I hailed from. ( All brick and mortar):D

So when you pulled the ceiling down and we see pipes etc an joists, those are the neighbors above correct?:dunno:

The one thing I like in what I see is the solid looking joist wood used in places. My house which is pretty new has these engineered joists. Consists of a thin piece of OSB topped with a grooved 2x4. Supposed to be stronger they say than solid wood. Personally I have my doubts about that. :huh:

Best of luck with the shopping Monday, save yourself repeated trips by making a comprehensive list first time out. :thumb:

Looking forward to see how you finish this one. :)

Well Stu. you've got a lot to do there.:thumb:

But a question keeps coming to my mind:

Cand you do that sort of work in an aparto without any permit?
I don't know what the regulations are in Japan but here you need a permit, and to get a permit you have to fill in a form thoroughly describing the sort of work you're going to undergo, pay a fare and depending on what you're doing you may even be obliged to hire a foreman builder.

Many people do it without a permit but if they catch you you'll be in trouble.

Well Stu. you've got a lot to do there.:thumb:

But a question keeps coming to my mind:

Cand you do that sort of work in an aparto without any permit?
I don't know what the regulations are in Japan but here you need a permit, and to get a permit you have to fill in a form thoroughly describing the sort of work you're going to undergo, pay a fare and depending on what you're doing you may even be obliged to hire a foreman builder.

Many people do it without a permit but if they catch you you'll be in trouble.

No permit needed for a couple of reasons, one, it is "only" a renovation, second, I'm working on my own building, so no permit needed.

I know all about permits, my Dad was an electrical inspector for the government for 29 years.

Cheers!

Looking ambitious, Stu...
Funny, I thought that this Aparto was going to be a smaller/easier job, but here you are ripping out floors and ceilings...

Play safe, have fun!
Err, is it fun?

I'm sure it'll go quicker, partly from having a helper, but even more (I bet) from already having done one. IS the floorplan much different? It seems a bit different from the photos I've seen so far.

...art

No permit needed for a couple of reasons, one, it is "only" a renovation, second, I'm working on my own building, so no permit needed.

I know all about permits, my Dad was an electrical inspector for the government for 29 years.

Cheers!

Not even to get rid of the debris? That's an easy life!