Dogwood

Chuck Ellis

Stuart mentioned dogwood in another thread and the Kokeshi dolls... I had some dogwood limbs about 3 or 4 inches dia that I turned last week that I turned into goblets and candle lights.. ... wish I had remembered the Kokeshi dolls before I used the wood. I plan to try one sometime soon.

The candle holder was supposed to be a goblet to match the first one, but I got too thin on the side and went through it, so - redesign...

The third goblet was also supposed to be a match, but by the time I got to it, I already messed up on two others.. one the candle holder and the other I had a catch and twisted the stem in half, so I was getting a little gun shy on this one and didn't quite get the sides straight like the first...

The second picture was actually the first I turned, but when I logged them in and assigned their numbers, I got it second instead of first... :doh:

The little oil candle was just a piece of cut off that I didn't want to throw away..

Attachments

• 40-738-3.JPG
    40-738-3.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 40-739-2.JPG
    40-739-2.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 40-740-5.JPG
    40-740-5.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 12-741-4.JPG
    12-741-4.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 38-743-5.JPG
    38-743-5.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 18
Chuck looks real good from here also.I notice that your pieces all seem to be sap wood,not the grayish heart that i've been having trouble with.Do you know if yours was flowering dogwood or some other species.I know the stuff i've turned was white flowering or at least that is what everyone calls it. Here is a pic of the one with the burl that i turned,and a pic of the one in our front lawn that my wife babies.:D
Steve

Attachments

• 001 [800x600].JPG
    001 [800x600].JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 001 [640x480].JPG
    001 [640x480].JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 11
Chuck looks real good from here also.I notice that your pieces all seem to be sap wood,not the grayish heart that i've been having trouble with.Do you know if yours was flowering dogwood or some other species.I know the stuff i've turned was white flowering or at least that is what everyone calls it. Here is a pic of the one with the burl that i turned,and a pic of the one in our front lawn that my wife babies.:D
Steve

These pieces were all limbs piece I think... they were still pretty green when I did them. The wood was pretty white all the way through. I'm pretty sure it was the flowing dogwood we have around here. This was taken out of a landscape by a friend who works in maintenance at one of the retirement subdivision over on the lake.. he picked up the dogwood for me, so I never saw it growing.. the bark is the same as my little flowering dogwood.