Thread: This is pretty cool...

This is pretty cool...

Hi all,

yesterday afternoon I was watching the Wings game and they went to a commercial break. I was working on my laptop while watching the game and wasn't paying much attention during the commercials. But when one came on it was to HUGE guys playing a game of chess with a "life-size" chess set. Again, didn't think much of it and went back to reading my computer screen. Then I saw that the commercial was for a Honda Ridgeline. The commercial went off and I didn't think much about it for a few minutes and then remembered talking to my brother about a year ago and he was just starting a job that required him to make a huge chess set. The pieces were about 5-6' high I think he said. Then I remembered that he's done a number of prop/set builds for Honda. I called him up and sure enough, my brother made that chess set! No big deal but I just thought it was kind of cool to see an ad on TV that featured items that my brother actually fabricated.

Some of you may remember a post I made not long ago about a replica Stanley Cup that my brother made for EA Sports. That too came out pretty sweet.

Here's the commercial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61B_f-S5-2I

Just thought I'd share.

Have a great day!

John
    Last edited by John Pollman; 05-19-2009 at 12:20 AM.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

now that is one major chess game and the lathe he used must have been huge so did he learn his skills from you john or you from him
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

LOL!

Actually he didn't use it for this particular job but not long after he finished the chess set he got another job making some big "tear drop" looking things for decorations. They were similar in size to those chess pieces. He ended up building himself a big lathe to make them. I think he sent me some pictures of it. It's pretty darn cool! I'll have to see if I can dig them up. I'll post them if I can find them.

I tell ya, I wish he weren't so far away. I think it would be a blast to work together on some of the projects he gets.

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

well over in your neck of the woods john ,,it isnt a real great place to be no more..maybe he has some insight we all could learn from... got four over there and 2 of them are on the soup line now...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    well over in your neck of the woods john ,,it isnt a real great place to be no more..maybe he has some insight we all could learn from... got four over there and 2 of them are on the soup line now...
    Ain't that the truth?!

You know the old saying...

"Last one out, turn out the lights"

I don't know how much longer the good old state of Michigan is going to be around at the rate we're going. It's bound to just dry up and blow away.

He's been out in LA for about 13-14 years I think. I remember when he decided to move there. He packed up everything he was taking with him into a carry-on and he had $50 in his pocket. I drove him to the airport and saw him off. I was scared as heck for him. That takes a lot of guts but he's done pretty well for himself out there.

John

That's indeed some cool stuff, John. I can't imagine how many hours went into making pieces that in the end only had a few seconds of screen time.

As I mentioned before, let him know if he's ever looking for any help, I'm about 15 minutes up the hill from him in Tujunga. (And for a fun job, I'd work cheap.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    That's indeed some cool stuff, John. I can't imagine how many hours went into making pieces that in the end only had a few seconds of screen time.

As I mentioned before, let him know if he's ever looking for any help, I'm about 15 minutes up the hill from him in Tujunga. (And for a fun job, I'd work cheap.)
    Will do Vaughn.

I talk to him regularly and next time I do I'll let him know how to get in touch with you. I'd imagine that there are times when an extra set of hands could come in handy. His name is Larry. So if you ever get a message from him, that's my bro.

His name is Larry??????

Sorry Larry, had to do it!!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

what is this bob Newhart?

what is this bob Newhart?
    Just imagine, if John's brother signed up, and became a moderator, we'd have Larry, Larry and Darryl... oh, wait, that isn't quite Bob newhart, but close!
    -Ned