SuperNova-2 Powergrip Jaws Question

Dan Mosley

Today i got a set of powergrip jaws for my supernova and will be trying them out shortly when i finish up some other work in progress. I have a question fot those of you that have the powergrip jaws. I am still wondering about the jaws themselves. Talking about compression mode: I think there is about 1/2" or so of smooth dove tail from the tip in - then about 1/2-3/4" of serations the rest of the way( theser are approximations but im close). It seems like a long tennon to get to the serations and wondering about tearinng out the tennon for one....other thing is anybody using the serations?
On the dove tail in compression mode i am assuming a scrapper or parting tool will make the dove tail fine.
I understand about the expansion mode but its the serations sitting so far back im wondering about
If anybody else is using these powergrips could you explain how you are using them for me..........thanks Dan

Dan, I've used mine in just the dovetail tenon mode. So far I've not wanted to use up the extra wood making a longer tenon that would reach down to the serrated part of the jaws. The extra depth of the jaws still comes in handy, since it holds the piece farther away from the headstock, making for easier access if need be.

Ditto what Vaughn said. I have never made a tenon yet long enought to get back to the serrations. Also I bought a dovetail tool. Then I made one out of a old scraper. Here is the one I bought and used for a copy. You must make sure the dovetail fits tight and that the chuck jaw faces seat firmly against a flat shoulder or you could have troubles.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...Tools___The_Dovetailer___htt_dovetailer?Args=

That tool looks real handy, Bernie. I just may have to grind my small Harbor Freight skew into one of those. (I have better skews, so this one doesn't ever get used.)

Bernie thanks for the link - I really dont have a scrapper with the correct angle and i may just buy this one so i got one on hand.......great tip and advice.........ill put the jaws on in a couple weeks......have to finish alot of other rough outs i have currently........