Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Blade Supplier Suggestions?

Bandsaw Blade Supplier Suggestions?

Tod suggested in another thread shopping for carbon steel bandsaw blades based on price, since the different brands are so similar. So, I'm looking for some potential price shopping suggestions. I know the usual suspects...Suffolk Machinery (Timberwolf), Lee Valley (Viking. a.k.a. Timberwolf), and Highland Woodworking (Woodslicer and their "woodturner's" blade). I was underwhelmed with Olson blades, so they're not in the running at this point.

I'm looking for 105" long 1/2" 3tpi alternate set blades for cutting turning wood on a 14" cast iron saw with riser. Mostly green wood, but some dry and real hard. (I just picked up something that I suspect is gonna go through a few blades.) Name brand doesn't matter...I'm looking for good prices. Any suggestions?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

tods place,, and mine too now www.ellissaw.com
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

ellis mfg.co.
    800-383-5547

they are a metalworking blade distributor that i use for the carbon steel blades i use, last time i ordered they didn`t carry 3 tooth blades only 4, but the price is right. i order by the dozen, ask where the price break is `cause i don`t remember
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I have ordered from these guys, their prices are decent, www.SunbeltIndustrial.com and also an outfit called Supercut bandsaw blades, which I'm using now and like, don't have their site but you can google them. I get the best prices from a local saw shop that sells Lennox stock, but their choices are limited, and sometimes their welds aren't so great, but they will make up a blade for you while you wait, which is nice.

I started ordering my band saw blades (TW) from Grizzly since I know what type I want. The PC blades are really aggressive.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/105-...aw-Blade/H8561
    Cody

Dave

Question

Question:
    I'm also looking to get a few blades. I'm also very new to any type of wood working & I'm a bit confused. I have a bunch of green wood & also dry wood since I mostly do turning & am starting to do more flat type of work the confusion comes from this.

Type of teeth.
    S = Skip Tooth H = Hook Tooth R = Raker Set W = Wavy Set. Positive & Negative tooth???

I don't do any precise work on my saw just general cutting. I have bent a few blades from I think hitting knots & also incorrectly cutting the material.

My questions are

1. What is the difference between the types of teeth?

2. I know more teeth = finer cut but I don't do resawing just general cutting & making bowl blanks.

3. What would be a decent all around blade from my research it's either a 3 or 4 TPI but what tooth pattern?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Chuck Beland; 05-20-2009 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Now I just have to pick one of them and order a few. I don't think the ironwood I plan to cut up will be a fair test for any of them.

1. What is the difference between the types of teeth?

This page has a pretty good description of the tooth types (although I've notice other sites with conflicting descriptions):

http://www.ellissaw.com/Band-Saw-Bla...oth-types-sets

In general for green wood and rough-cutting dry wood, I think most folks go for a hook tooth, since it's a bit more aggressive. Also important is the "set" of the teeth, or how they are bent from side to side on the blade. For your turning/occasional flatwork needs, a raker set would probably fit the bill. The raker set has one tip to the left, one tip to the right, then the third tip in the center. This pattern repeats for the length of the blade. This helps clear out the chips better and makes it easier to cut curves, as I understand things. You'll also see "alternate set" teeth mentioned by Suffolk Machinery (Timberwolf) and probably others. These are similar, but they simply alternate each tooth between a right and left set, with no teeth aligned to the center. I've had good results with alternate set blades from Suffolk, but I'm probably going to be trying a raker set soon, since I seem to be able to get them for less money.

2. I know more teeth = finer cut but I don't do resawing just general cutting & making bowl blanks.

3 or 4 tpi will fit the bill for both bowl blanks and general cutting.

3. What would be a decent all around blade from my research it's either a 3 or 4 TPI but what tooth pattern?

I think with your saw, I'd want a 3 tpi hook tooth blade with either a raker or alternate set to the teeth. It'd be a bowl blank eating machine, but still behave fine for the occasional flat piece.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Wash behind your ears.
    Look both ways before crossing.
    Try the veal, It's excellent tonight.
    Tip your mailman.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Richardson View Post
    I have ordered from these guys, their prices are decent, www.SunbeltIndustrial.com and also an outfit called Supercut bandsaw blades, which I'm using now and like, don't have their site but you can google them...
    Have you tried the Supercut "Premium Gold" carbide impregnated blades?

workingwoods.com

105" long 1/2" 3tpi .............Vaughn .........I use the same and get them from Louis Ittura.........forgot his website but just search his name....he is a guru on bandsaws...........