network question????

larry merlau

ok i am tryun to get my shop puter to talk with the home puter and be able to run a program on the shop puter in the house threw a network connection... i am running windows xp on both machines, and have a dsl line threw the phone company connecting both machines.. i can see the shop puter, but when i try to run the program it tells me i dont have access privileges and to contact the administrator,,which i am one and the same.. so for you pc geeks what are the steps i need to take to achieve this.. and i am sure others could benefit form the same setup.. thanks in advance!!!

Larry,

Go to Start, Control panel, network connections on both machines, you need to make sure file sharing is turned on in both, and if memory serves, there should also be a box to click that says "allow others to be able to modify these files" or similar lingo.

I made the plunge to Vista like a fool and dont have XP going anymore, or I'd give you screen shots :(

If you turn on file and print sharing, then you should be good to go. Then if you have a printer hooked up in your house machine, you can add that to your shop machine too:

Start, control panel, printers and faxes, add printer, network printer. Do this after you get the network working though.

Are you trying to access the data on your work computer and run the application on your home computer? Or are you trying to remote into your work computer?

In the first scenario, yes make sure the data is set to share.

In the second scenario you can sign in to your work computer through Remote Desktop Connection. I don't remember off the top of my head, but you can easily google the phrase to see what you have to set.

Depending how sensitive your data is you should consider using a VPN (virtual private network) application to make the connection. This creates an encrypted connection between the two computers and adds additional layers of security to prevent anyone else from accessing either computer through an open firewall.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Are you trying to access the data on your work computer and run the application on your home computer? Or are you trying to remote into your work computer?

In the first scenario, yes make sure the data is set to share.

In the second scenario you can sign in to your work computer through Remote Desktop Connection. I don't remember off the top of my head, but you can easily google the phrase to see what you have to set.

Depending how sensitive your data is you should consider using a VPN (virtual private network) application to make the connection. This creates an encrypted connection between the two computers and adds additional layers of security to prevent anyone else from accessing either computer through an open firewall.

Cheers.
wher ewould you get the vpn and is it pricey??? i am wanting to do my bookwork in both places ,,that is what i am up to..home and shop office.

Last edited:
Larry I found out the remote desktop connection software is preinstalled with windows xp if thats what your running.

i am not sure i want remote desktop ,,but maybe i do??? like i wrote earlier i am just tryun to access my home shop computer not the day job system.. just a home network.. just want to access my file from wood shop in th ehouse and the house files in the wood shop. clear as mud huh..if it were a mac i would be up and runing.. maybe that is what i shoulda done.. but then the software wouldnt work..

Larry go to your cotrol panel and click on network and network sharing and you need to let the computer be able to access a public file which should let you open a file from another computer

i am not sure i want remote desktop ,,but maybe i do??? like i wrote earlier i am just tryun to access my home shop computer not the day job system.. just a home network.. just want to access my file from wood shop in th ehouse and the house files in the wood shop. clear as mud huh..if it were a mac i would be up and runing.. maybe that is what i shoulda done.. but then the software wouldnt work..

Larry,

accessing files is way different from running a program on a remote machine. If both machines are connected to the same router, this should be trivial... you just need to enable sharing...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited: