ALLWAYS where a full face shield

Glad you were'nt hurt Ken :thumb:, i have just bought a welders
leather apron for extra safety, i was lucky on the price too
only £5 (about $3-$3.50). Might also invest in some
brown underwear too.:rofl:

Glad you are alright in both occasions Ken. I always wear a face shield. I also NEVER put myself in line with tension wood when topping trees or otherwise. One of my former bosses was killed in that manner. There is a tremendous amount of stored energy in a tree especially when it has been felled or is a leaner.

I gotta keep this post goin,heres what was allmost a 15" locust bowl.I was just finishin it up an ready to store for a while an it broke right off the tenon,plenty off wood left,it just let go.The biggest piece took out my overhead light.Heck I was only runnin the lathe at 1,400 RPM's.Gettin tired of doin laundry :dunno:

Attachments

• broke b two.jpg
    broke b two.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 10
I gotta keep this post goin,heres what was allmost a 15" locust bowl.I was just finishin it up an ready to store for a while an it broke right off the tenon,plenty off wood left,it just let go.The biggest piece took out my overhead light.Heck I was only runnin the lathe at 1,400 RPM's.Gettin tired of doin laundry :dunno:

best cure would be to not turn that stuff anymore and just do flat work:)

...Heck I was only runnin the lathe at 1,400 RPM's.Gettin tired of doin laundry :dunno:

1400 rpm on a 15" piece feels a little fast to me. But then again, the speeds I'm running now seemed fast to me a year ago. I know in both cases (yours and mine) we're running faster than is commonly recommended.

1400 rpm on a 15" piece feels a little fast to me. But then again, the speeds I'm running now seemed fast to me a year ago. I know in both cases (yours and mine) we're running faster than is commonly recommended.

Your probably right,but this is the 1st yr of trying to do the bigger bowls.I'm gonna go down a speed next time an see how that works,right now I gotta get away from the lathe for a few days.

Larry I still do a lot of flat work.I'm back to my flat work for a spell now as I love to make jewelry boxes.Make some PO banks now.If I get a chance I'll post some pics if you would like to see them.(My Jewelry boxes)
Ken

well ken we always like pics,, as long they arent of ugly mugs like the one earlyier:) glad you escaped free of harma gain but you do realize that your not young any more and not as fast as yu think you are.. exspecailly in cuttin tensioned trees.. i had to cut downa couple fer my dad a while back and if hadnt he was gonna do it and it would have been a disater but the ole coot wouldnt back down so i just showed up and did it.. left the rest for him..