scrollsawn cat wall plaque

Ned Bulken

Nedsboxes001.jpg

pattern was out of an old issue of Wood Magazine.

Clever design, and nice work, Ned. I think I counted 9 cats in the picture. How many are there actually?

I feel that photo doesn't do justice to the piece.

Ken, there are 14 total cats in there. and you're right It was a pretty spectacularly curly piece of 3/4" maple. The cats were all cut out at one height, then different ones were sanded to make them each appear to be different heights.
I'll have to look around for it, my mother says she thinks it is waiting on another coat of stain. Hmmmmm
THanks for looking tho!

Nice work. You should have waited on revealing how many cats there are. I had counted 12 before I saw the answer! Are you going to put some type of frame around it? It would really look cool on the wall!

I think it is as finished as it gets right about now. As for a frame, If I ever get to see it again (this one anyway), I will think about it. I also am thinking of a stack cut with three different woods, and then mixing and matching the layers for a menagerie effect. I have copies of that pattern still, somewhere in my storage unit. Just have to dig them out.

oh, and in terms of scale... the tiny little cat is about 3/8 wide by 1/4" tall. the whole thing was about 5 in by 6"