Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a cyclone to fit my needs

Building a cyclone to fit my needs

I finally made the decision to replace the so called dust collector in my shop with something that actually works. The current project I've been working on has alot of mdf in it and I would be wondering why I was always waking up in the morning all stuffed up. In my research on this I found out my current dc wasn't getting the job done.

When I joined this forum I came across Stu's website and clicked on his cyclone build which really got me interested. I followed the link to Bill Pentz's websit http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm and what I read there made alot of sense. On that website is a link to Clearvue cyclones and I was all set to buy one a week ago. But as luck would have it my central a/c went up and it had to be replaced so the cyclone was on hold again.

I did a little more research and found out if I build it myself I could have the CV1800 max for about 2/3's the cost of the CV1800. I e-mailed Bill with some questions and in a very timely manner he replied back. I ordered the 5 hp Leeson motor from the link in his website along with the 16" impeller and relay from Clearvue.

I spent $353 on the motor,$319 for the impeller and relay and $86 for 2 4' x 10' sheets of 24 ga sheetmetal. You only need one sheet but I have some other projects on my todo list. I figure I can build the cyclone for under $1000 and get a product that works and fits in the space I have. Whenthe motor and Impeller arrive I will be posting pictures of my build for anyone interested.

Way to go Alan!

I'm sure you can do this, heck if I can do it down in a hole in the ground in Tokyo, anyone can

A couple things I'll suggest right from the start, good heavy leather gloves, get a good pair and use them, the steel is sharp!

Buy one of these......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	makita_MK-JS1300_L.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	32586
    Makita MK-JS1300

You should be able to find one for less than $200, but buy a good one, as the cheap ones do not last, they wear out.

Look used too, there are lots of other good brands, Milwaukee makes a nice one, IIRC.

Trust me, one of these will save your hands!

Best of luck, take pics, I'll be watching this one Alan!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks Stu. I thought i hit the jackpot yesterday when one of my subcontractors said he had some 5 hp 3 phase motors I could have for free. It would have been worth to try and build a rotary phase converter and I even looked into the static phase converters but all the motors were only 1740 rpm. Thats when I made up my mind just to order the correct motor.

Well The motor will arrive on tuesday the 26 and clearvue just shipped out the impeller and relay today. Iunrolled the metal and started to do a rough layout with a black sharpie to make sure it all fits where I layed the parts out

Name:	5-20-09 006 (800 x 600).jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	32605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-20-09 007 (800 x 600).jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	32606
    In the second drawing is a 8.5 x 11 drawing of the parts with dimensions. Bill has a link on his website so you can download a copy to microsoft excel and he provides certain areas you can change to fit the size of your motor.

This picture is a full scale drawing also made available on Bill's website and is sized for a 14" impeller. Since I'm using a 16" impeller I have to increase the dimensions by14% to get the correct size housing.

Name:	5-20-09 008 (800 x 600).jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	32607

Now I'm off to do the actual layout. I used the black marker as a layout dye to scribe my actual layout lines on. Any suggestions or Ideas would be appreciated.

Alan nothing against doing this but when I look at the great work you do and think of the value of your time and see the money you already have sunk into this just for material then you only have $550 dollars and 3 hours left to complete it and you could have had one of these.

http://www.oneida-air.com/gorilla_3hp.php

Only $1550.

But I can understand the enjoyment of making your own tools.

Hey what about the filter costs. This one includes a good filter.
    cheers

Thats including tha cost of both filters plus this will fit in a smaller space. I never did mind making my own stuff if I could and save me money also. Look at it this way, the other $550 that cyclone would cost me I can put that money into my ductwork.

I just reread your post Rob and I figured I could build the complete cyclone Including the filters for under a $1000.
    Last edited by Alan Bienlein; 05-20-2009 at 09:25 PM.

I know I could start a lively discussion here, but that Oneida unit is just simply not work as well as a Pentz designed unit, just not going to happen, sorry
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

the absolute best practice to remove dust is a large impeller that exhausts outdoors
    (even bill pentz agrees)
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    the absolute best practice to remove dust is a large impeller that exhausts outdoors
    (even bill pentz agrees)
    You are absolutely right Tod, but for various reasons, that option is not open to many of us.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    You are absolutely right Tod, but for various reasons, that option is not open to many of us.
    yeah i know but i just had to throw that out there..
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]