Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Deal on a cordless Drill

Looking for a Deal on a cordless Drill

So, I had an old makita for quite a while, but a couple of years all the batteries wore out, and it was kind of low voltage. Picked up an inexpensive Grizz cordless drill, and while it worked fine for a while, I went to use it today and it no longer wants to go into reverse. So I'm in the market for a new drill.

I'd like to get a decent one, and was just looking for recommendations. Also wondering if any of those kit things made any sense with additional tools like a cordless reciprocating saw or cordless circular saw made any sense.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I use the cordless reciprocating saw a bunch but don't use the cordless circular saw very much. I have DeWalt and have been satisfied, but I'm sure there are other very good units out there. Others will chime in with their experience.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My go-to drill and impact driver are Hitachi 14.4v models. I've been very happy with them. We also use the flashlight that came with the drill. A lot.

I've got the Ryobi 18v reciprocating saw and mini circular saw. The recip saw was very handy last summer when I removed all the old rain gutters from our house prior to replacement. The circular saw has been handy to have in the truck when I'm buying long pieces of lumber and want to cut them shorter for the drive home. I've also used it for quick crosscuts to get a piece cut to a workable size before cutting to the final dimension on the tablesaw. On both Ryobi saws, though, the battery life has been a bit disappointing.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

As you learned, some inexpensive tools are not a bargain. I have been using the same DeWalt for a decade and the Makita for a couple years longer. I have had the batts rebuilt once.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I have two Dewalt 18v drill/driver units and a circ saw that have been very durable. Even taking a 15' dive onto a cement sidewalk. I had to replace the motor on one unit and the switch on the other, cost was less than $40 for both parts. I had the battery packs rebuilt once by a local guy. There may be better cordless tools out there, but I haven't had to replace mine in 10 years.

The 14.4v units do have a better balance in hand, but I have always appreciated the 18v power.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Brent

Take a look at the Panasonic range. I have the panasonic 15.6V drill and it has served me for many years. Came with 2 batteries and charger. Its still going well 5 years later.

Some years ago wood magazine did a test on drills and panasonic came out tops.

The new versions are way lighter.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

If I were buying today, lithium ion would be my choice for battery, the energy density and cell voltage results in higher voltage and more consistent current supply and a much smaller battery config for certain uses. I think Milwakee leads the pack in this technology but thats just MHO.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    My go-to drill and impact driver are Hitachi 14.4v models. I've been very happy with them. We also use the flashlight that came with the drill. A lot.

I've been happy with my Hitachi 14.4v drill and impact driver too. ReconditionedSales.com has some nice deals on them.
    Got Wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    If I were buying today, lithium ion would be my choice for battery, the energy density and cell voltage results in higher voltage and more consistent current supply and a much smaller battery config for certain uses. I think Milwakee leads the pack in this technology but thats just MHO.
    You know, as much as I deal with the LI batteries for my Radio Controlp planes, for some reason I didn't even think about that. LI certainly has a more power and a longer storage life. You've really given me something to think about....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I shopped for one about a year ago. Based on responses here, I ended up buying a DeWalt 14.4V. I got it from Amazon, far and away the best price anywhere, about $60.00 under the local BORGs.
    I'm sure it will last me forever and a day.

Personaly I own the ridgid 18v with the sawzall, circular saw, impact driver and flash light. I use them all the time. I even use the 18v impact to work on my cars. The batteries finally started to give out after 7 years so for the cost of 2 new batteries I bought the ridgid 18v lithium ion drill/hammer drill. They haven't let me down yet.