Looking for a Deal on a cordless Drill

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, I had an old makita for quite a while, but a couple of years all the batteries wore out, and it was kind of low voltage. Picked up an inexpensive Grizz cordless drill, and while it worked fine for a while, I went to use it today and it no longer wants to go into reverse. So I'm in the market for a new drill.

I'd like to get a decent one, and was just looking for recommendations. Also wondering if any of those kit things made any sense with additional tools like a cordless reciprocating saw or cordless circular saw made any sense.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!

I use the cordless reciprocating saw a bunch but don't use the cordless circular saw very much. I have DeWalt and have been satisfied, but I'm sure there are other very good units out there. Others will chime in with their experience.

Mike

My go-to drill and impact driver are Hitachi 14.4v models. I've been very happy with them. We also use the flashlight that came with the drill. A lot.

I've got the Ryobi 18v reciprocating saw and mini circular saw. The recip saw was very handy last summer when I removed all the old rain gutters from our house prior to replacement. The circular saw has been handy to have in the truck when I'm buying long pieces of lumber and want to cut them shorter for the drive home. I've also used it for quick crosscuts to get a piece cut to a workable size before cutting to the final dimension on the tablesaw. On both Ryobi saws, though, the battery life has been a bit disappointing.

As you learned, some inexpensive tools are not a bargain. I have been using the same DeWalt for a decade and the Makita for a couple years longer. I have had the batts rebuilt once.

I have two Dewalt 18v drill/driver units and a circ saw that have been very durable. Even taking a 15' dive onto a cement sidewalk. I had to replace the motor on one unit and the switch on the other, cost was less than $40 for both parts. I had the battery packs rebuilt once by a local guy. There may be better cordless tools out there, but I haven't had to replace mine in 10 years.

The 14.4v units do have a better balance in hand, but I have always appreciated the 18v power.

Brent

Take a look at the Panasonic range. I have the panasonic 15.6V drill and it has served me for many years. Came with 2 batteries and charger. Its still going well 5 years later.

Some years ago wood magazine did a test on drills and panasonic came out tops.

The new versions are way lighter.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-...ordless-Tools.75116_11002_7000000000000005702

If I were buying today, lithium ion would be my choice for battery, the energy density and cell voltage results in higher voltage and more consistent current supply and a much smaller battery config for certain uses. I think Milwakee leads the pack in this technology but thats just MHO.

If I were buying today, lithium ion would be my choice for battery, the energy density and cell voltage results in higher voltage and more consistent current supply and a much smaller battery config for certain uses. I think Milwakee leads the pack in this technology but thats just MHO.

You know, as much as I deal with the LI batteries for my Radio Controlp planes, for some reason I didn't even think about that. LI certainly has a more power and a longer storage life. You've really given me something to think about....

I shopped for one about a year ago. Based on responses here, I ended up buying a DeWalt 14.4V. I got it from Amazon, far and away the best price anywhere, about $60.00 under the local BORGs.
I'm sure it will last me forever and a day.

Personaly I own the ridgid 18v with the sawzall, circular saw, impact driver and flash light. I use them all the time. I even use the 18v impact to work on my cars. The batteries finally started to give out after 7 years so for the cost of 2 new batteries I bought the ridgid 18v lithium ion drill/hammer drill. They haven't let me down yet.:thumb:

Does anyone have an opinion on >> THIS << impact driver?

wh14daf2.jpg

I know it is not LIon batteries, but at $99 each :eek:

I can buy three of these, and have them shipped to Japan for less than I can buy ONE of these here in Japan :doh:

Or this unit >> HERE <<

wh18dfl.jpg

For $137, this one IS LIon batteries.

Now I'm wondering if that is the way to go, or if I should buy this set......
1182.jpg

Hitachi KC10DAL 10.8V Li-Ion 3 Piece Micro Combo Kit
>> HERE << for $199 looks good too......... :huh:

One last one.........

kc18dfl.jpg

Hitachi KC18DFL 18V HXP Compact Li-ion 2 Piece Combo Kit

>> HERE <<
Drill/Driver and Impact, both 18V LIon for $186

I wonder if the 18V units are not over kill, I mean, when I want some serious power, I think that corded tools are the way to go. I wonder it the 18V units are so big and heavy, they are a drag to use a lot, but I worry that the 10.8V tools are too light weight?

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Stu, I have the 14.4v Hitachi impact driver, and I absolutely love it. I bought it as a refurb for about the same price you're seeing, and it's been well worth the money. The NiCad batteries won't last as long as the LIon ones, but I'm seldom driving more than a handful of screws at a time, so it hasn't really been an issue...unless the battery hasn't been charged in a while. But I have 4 batteries for 3 tools - a drill, an impact driver, and a flashlight - so I almost always have a freshly-charged one on hand.

I also have a couple 18v drills (Ryobi and Craftsman), and for me, the 14.4 models are much less fatiguing to use for most tasks. I haven't used any of the 10.8v tools, so I can't offer any opinions about them, but like you, I wonder if they might be a little too light for some things. My 14.4v impact driver can easily run 3" long hex head #12 sheet metal screws into a bowl blank, with no pilot holes. It grunts a bit on real hard wood like some of my red eucalyptus that's been drying for a couple of years, but it still runs them all the way in.

That looks like a good deal, but I already own that exact (corded) drill.! :thumb:

I'm hoping there'll be some sales on this weekend I can take advantage of.

I keep thinking I'd like one of the kits with a cordless circular saw, I know thats just the tool collector in me talking. I don't really need a cordless circular saw, or reciprocating saw, but for some reason I want them! :rolleyes:

I think I'll be looking for a good strong drill with either the Li or A123 types of batters, probably in a higher voltage...

Thanks Guys!

No Worries Jonathan!

Seriously, 33$ for that drill seems like a pretty darn good deal... :thumb:

I'm a big fan of sites like 'Woot' and "Yugster".

Thanks to you, I've added tooladay to my daily list of sites to check!

Looks like there are some sales going on at the local big boxes this weekend.

I'm not sure why, but I seem to have collected quite a number of dewalt yellow. Seems like with that color they are harder to lose....