two boxes

Ned Bulken

I made these a couple of years ago, but I'm visiting my folks and they both have the boxes, and the photos, so here they are. One is a sliding dovetail lidded 'useful box' Maple I believe was the wood de jure:
slidingdovetail1.jpg

slidingdovertail2.jpg

here the same box is with a maple/cherry gentleman's box I made for my father:
twoboxes.jpg

cherrymaple1.jpg

and

Nedsboxes004.jpg

turns out I was wrong. on a whim, I asked to see the sliding top box. It was maple and Cherry! look at what 2 years did to the color of the cherry:
cherrymaplebox.jpg

look particularly at the corner of the inset in the first post, where the lid is, the maple there looks darker almost than the cherry, and now look at the contrast:

P1010086.jpg

and while I'm at it: the other box:

P1010087.jpg

Last edited:
Purdy wood! The cherry really darkened up!

Thanks Ed, I really like 'funky' wood, with loads of character marks.

I love working in cherry, especially since it does that dramatic color change. The sliding dovetaile lidded box had some sapwood, but even that got a richer tone over time.

Can't wait to see how it looks in about 5 years if this is what it did in two. It is funny, I remember telling my folks that it would get darker, but I dont' think they believed me until I showed them the before pics tonight. This is also the first time I recall building something that has actually had Time to age after being finished (if that makes any sense). I'm such a rookie that everything looked 'fresh' and 'new' this is the first time I've had something get a patina to it!