Thread: Whale Bone

Whale Bone

Sedona with Black Titanium Plating.
    Sanded to 400 grit, buffed with super fine steel wool
    and polished with Hut Ultra Gloss.

As always comments and or suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks for looking.

Les
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06858 (Medium).JPG   DSC06861 (Medium).JPG   Sedona Black Titanium and Whale Bone (Medium).JPG   Black Titanium Sedona with Whale Bone (Medium).JPG  
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Whale bone

Isn't there restrictions in using whale products, i.e. importing and selling .
    I was given some from a friend and was wondering what I could make with it. The piece you have in the second pics seems very porous. How did you solidify the bone?

Great-looking pen, Les, and the pics show it off nicely, too. Was the bone stabilized or did it just sand down that solid?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Another beauty, Les.
    And your photography is always top-notch too, by the way.
    Why has common sense
    become so uncommon?

My Woodwork Site

Very special. It is sure to become someone's treasure.
    Ditto on the question about filling the porous part.

Quote Originally Posted by John Frigillana View Post
    I was given some from a friend and was wondering what I could make with it. The piece you have in the second pics seems very porous. How did you solidify the bone?
    John,

I think your instincts are right. Not to get picky, but a quick reading of the Marine Mammals Protection Act of 1972 makes it pretty clear one can't import, export, or sell any "piece". Looks like mere possession is not illegal, but I may be missing something. Exceptions are made for Inuit artwork. Similar laws exist in New Zealand and Canada, but I'm afraid I don't have time right now to browse the entire Canadian Fisheries Act for the relevant section http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/F-14/SOR-93-56/index.html

Best guess, after limited research: if it's given away as a gift, all is copacetic. Selling it may get iffy. Selling it across borders is likely going to lead to some small unhappiness...

Thanks,

Bill

Great looking pen Les. Well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I understand it is not Canada, but, in Alaska, natives can make jewelry or other artistic items from whale, and other animal parts, and sell them. But they cannot sell, or even give away raw items. I have a grizzly bear claw on a leather thong with two plain bone beads. This qualifies as 'artistic' or jewelry. Same with another necklace that is polar bear.

Quote Originally Posted by John Frigillana View Post
    Not a problem selling Whale Bone within Canada.
    Canada left the IWC in 1982 and as such is not bound by the moratorium on whaling.

In Canada, it is illegal to export to or import from the USA any art or artifact created from a marine mammal, including whalebone, walrus tusks (ivory) and narwhal tusks (also ivory). Caribou antler does not fall into this category and has no restrictions.

The pieces of the whale bone I have is porous on the surface and is very solid on the interior once turned down.
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Great-looking pen, Les, and the pics show it off nicely, too. Was the bone stabilized or did it just sand down that solid?
    Vaughn,

The bone is not stabilized and turns a lot like antler.