Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bathroom Cabinet - Newest Project - Finished!

Bathroom Cabinet - Newest Project - Finished!

I've been wanting (needing) more storage in our little master bath for years. I finally decided this weekend that I was going to 'get-r-done'. The adjoining bedroom has shaker influenced furniture so I wanted to carry that theme into the bath. That meant (for me anyhow) dovetailed cabinet with a flat panel frame-and-panel inset door. However, all our furniture is pine and I wanted something a little more exciting.

After some digging around in the wood pile I found a maple board a neighbor gave me about 8 years ago. It was the right size and thick enough to resaw, so I figured I'd give it a try. First hurdle, I've tried resawing on my old BS and never had any luck. It was time to try the new saw. The Rikon 18" ate through it like butter and gave me two flat pieces that nearly brought tears to my eyes!

I couldn't wait to glue them up and see what I had. I'm pretty pleased.

The first picture is the panel just sanded. In the second picture it's wearing a spit coat of dewaxed shellac. I'm planning on completing this cabinet over the next 2 weeks. I'll try to post pictures along the way.

Attachment 2925 Attachment 2926
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 07-03-2007 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Finished!!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

This will be neat. Keep us posted...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    The Rikon 18" ate through it like butter and gave me two flat pieces that nearly brought tears to my eyes!

I couldn't wait to glue them up and see what I had. I'm pretty pleased.

The first picture is the panel just sanded. In the second picture it's wearing a spit coat of dewaxed shellac. I'm planning on completing this cabinet over the next 2 weeks. I'll try to post pictures along the way.

Attachment 2925 Attachment 2926
    Hi Rennie,
    That bandsaw just ate it up, good for you!
    It is exciting when you have that kind of wood just jump at you and then you bookmatch, Whoa, it is a wonderful feeling deep, it's like "this is too good, I may burst if I don't share this", and thanks for sharing with us , ( really hate to have you burst all open and be really funky inside and make your pretty dog sick ) keep us posted with your progress!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

progress update

OK - progress update.

Not as far along as I would have liked, but moving forward none-the-less.

The glue-up is done (did I mention that of all the woodworking tasks I like glue-up the least? ) I sure hope I get better at this woodworking stuff or I'm gonna start feeling guilty about buying all those tools!
    Attachment 3486

The 'outside' box is now complete. Tonight I'll start on the inside box. Let me explain. The outside is the part that will be outside the wall cavity. It will give the impression of a 5" deep cabinet hanging on the wall. The inside cabinet (1/2" plywood will fit snugly into the outside cabinet (3/4" set back from the front edge to support the flush fit door) and extend an additional 3 1/2" into the wall netting me a 7 1/2" deep storage area (8 1/2" less the 1/4" back panel and 3/4" for the inset door. There will be 2 small full depth drawers on the bottom and shelves in the back of the cabinet and on the inside of the door allowing me 100% access to all contents.
    Attachment 3487

Pine, though comparatively cheap, has its own issues - as I am finding out. My ROS likes to round over corners and has no problem 'digging' deeper into the face grain than into the end grain at the dovetails - giving a slightly wavy feel to the edge. Next time, sanding block!
    Attachment 3488

The towel bar is birch with a Lyptus wedge. Not true shaker , but I'll get over it.
    Attachment 3489

Now, if I could just have a few more 3-day weekends.......
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 07-03-2007 at 08:01 PM.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

bad color???

hey rennie i think you col dhave gotten threw your glueup better with more red ones instead of those orange ones naw they both work well. you got my heart skippin alittel with your mention of that rikon 18" its on my short list. if things go as i would ike this year. bt i do like the other one too chocalte company as for that stinaed maple i think you should offer it to a close friend and use some of your pure white stuff.. wouldnt want to use that partially stained lumber in this nice project oh thats right spalted is good lookun forward to thew rest of the story.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    hey rennie i think you col dhave gotten threw your glueup better with more red ones instead of those orange ones naw they both work well. you got my heart skippin alittel with your mention of that rikon 18" its on my short list. if things go as i would ike this year. bt i do like the other one too chocalte company as for that stinaed maple i think you should offer it to a close friend and use some of your pure white stuff.. wouldnt want to use that partially stained lumber in this nice project oh thats right spalted is good lookun forward to thew rest of the story.
    Thanks Larry, I'll try to pick up a few more red ones!

I'm very happy with the Rikon, but then my last saw was a 30 year old 14" AMT. Never the less, the Rikon was a great value based on price and all the reviews I read. So far it has served me well.

I should have noted this in my first post, but I welcome input from all regarding this project. It's nothing complicated, I know, but it is my first attempt at a book matched panel and my own design. OK, so let the comments come! I'm ready

Inside box dry fit

Well, this is moving along a lot slower than I had hoped. I completed cutting and fitting of the 'inside' box this past weekend. This portion will reach back into the stud bay and give me a nice deep storage area - much needed storage in our little master bath.

Simple box of 1/2" ply. The front edges will be trimmed in pine. I also sliced up the figured birch (harvested from a friends front yard) for the drawers. I took one really nicely figured piece to make the drawer fronts from. That's next weekends project.

Comments are welcome - Little and 'not too complex' a project compared to some of the beautiful work others are doing....but....someday....

Attachment 3749 Attachment 3750 Attachment 3751 Attachment 3752

Hi Rennie,
    I think the project you have going is turning out really nice. It looks like a fun piece and thd fact you designed it yourself is a real plus.
    Thanks for keeping us abreast. We'll be watching .
    Shaz
    What is your intended use for the three areas below the large upper rectangle, did you say drawers?
    Last edited by Robert Schaubhut; 01-23-2007 at 01:21 PM.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Schaubhut View Post
    What is your intended use for the three areas below the large upper rectangle, did you say drawers?
    Hi Robert,

Yes, drawers. The two on the right will be about 1 1/2" deep, the large one to the left about 4" deep. The shallow ones are sized so that I can remove a drawer each morning and place it on the vanity. It will hold everything I use each morning including hair brush, toothpaste, hair grooming stuff, etc. In this way I can keep everything off the top of the vanity (keeps the LOML happy) and it all gets put away when I'm done.

The larger drawer will hold weekly grooming needs like electric beard trimmer and attachments, scissors, and the like. The third (shallow) drawer will hold all the assorted small stuff that normally clogs up a vanity like nail clippers, files, etc.

I'm hoping to get started on the drawers this evening. Haven't decided yet if I want to dovetail or finger joint the drawers.

Unhinged

Well, after losing an entire week of evenings in the shop to a head cold I was able to spend a few hours on Saturday trying to catch up. I was able to glue up the drawers and to assemble (dry) the door.
    Attachment 4674 Attachment 4675

I found a piece of 1/4" ply for the back that kind of echoes the door panel
    Attachment 4676

And, after one false start, managed to get the drawers dovetailed and assembled.
    Attachment 4677 Attachment 4678

Instead of pulls on the drawers I'm thinking about a 3/4" hole centered side to side and towards the top of the drawer. The pull on the door will be something simple - haven't picked one out yet. The real problem I face right now - and need help with - is picking a hinge. I had originally thought about a no mortise hinge, but the more I think about it the more shaky that decision seems.

The door will have two shallow shelves (think deodorant, shaving cream, etc.) attached to its inside. I'm worried about the weight/stress this will put on the hinges. I've given some thought to using a piano hinge, but I'm afraid of how that will look.

Help! Any suggestions?