Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first green wood bowl

My first green wood bowl

Hi All

Well watching the spinny guys here gets frustrating if you are a doer rather than a talker.

So when I went to the garden rubish recycling dump the other day I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. Got a neat wood haul and amongst the various pieces was a bunch of this stuff.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cross section of wood branch.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	32612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view of green wood bark.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	32614

So with that attrative grain pattern and color I decided to have a quick go at turning a small green bowl.

All went well on the roughing and hollowing out. Then took the bowl and put it in the chuck with the chuck expanding out to support the bowl while I finished of the tennon on the bottom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	other side of green wood bowl.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	32613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First green wood ring bowl.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	32611

One catch on the base and voila one split bowl and pieces. Might glue up and keep as a momento of my first green wood turning.

Anyone here got an idea of what wood this is. Something i have never seen before. It has a fluorescent green yellow color and it is almost like a hologram is when you turn it against the light.

Looked up my identifying wood book but nothing near this. I suspect it is a shrub or bush of some sort but the real thick piece i have is about 5 inches diameter.

Pictures dont do the color of the wood justice at all.

Well free wood and off to try again. Now I can see why you guys buy those hook bowl gouges. And yes this is addictive.
    cheers

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Way cool Rob!! Hope my first attempt goes that nice. Nice grain in the wood for sure
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Better than a lot of other first attempts, Rob. Like a lot of folks (me included), you're starting out with a difficult form. The undercut rim is challenging for anyone. (It indicates a latent desire to turn hollow forms, IMHO.)

I'd glue it together and put it on a shelf. In a year or so, you'll really get a kick out of looking at it and seeing how much you've learned.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn is right that is one of the harder bowl styles to start with. Looks mighty fine to me. Bout like my first bowl out of dry black locust.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I believe that is Osage Orange you have there. You did a great job on your first piece. At least until you had your catch. Should have had the tail stock up as well. You'll get it done next time.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

Looks good Rob, keep at it, it is a blast!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    [QUOTE=Rob Keeble;162580]

Anyone here got an idea of what wood this is.
    Certainly looks like penwood to me!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Miller View Post
    I believe that is Osage Orange you have there. You did a great job on your first piece. At least until you had your catch. Should have had the tail stock up as well. You'll get it done next time.

Thanks Doug, turns out to be exactly what it is when i looked up the wood.

For those interested here is a site where they define it very well. My color and bark is a dead match. Even the sap wood helped me id it after Doug pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks for all the comments guys this was a quick experiment to try show off the wood color to ascertain what it is.

Its only about 1 and 3/4 diameter and i found it very hard to get inside the tiny bowl with a huge bowl gouge i have.
    Guess there will have to be some more tools on my list.
    cheers

Nice piece of wood there, Rob. I like what you almost did with it.
    Why has common sense
    become so uncommon?

My Woodwork Site

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Anyone here got an idea of what wood this is. Something i have never seen before. It has a fluorescent green yellow color and it is almost like a hologram is when you turn it against the light.

[...] I suspect it is a shrub or bush of some sort but the real thick piece i have is about 5 inches diameter.

Pictures dont do the color of the wood justice at all.
    Rob, your pictures and description closely match the wood from the smoke bush in our side yard.

My wife trimmed the (large-ish) shrub for the first time last year, and I was quite surprised by the "fluorescent green yellow color" that appeared when the limbs split down their length - which they started to do within a day or two. The sap that oozed from the cut ends was very sticky ... hopefully the sap and the "auto-splitting" will be lessened if I do some planned cutting in the winter. (?)

In stark contrast, the limbs that my wife trimmed from our giant pussy willow "shrub" at the same time lay on the lawn/driveway quite happily for a week or two with no signs of cracking (and no sticky sap) whatsoever. Go figure!