1HP variable speed lathe for less than $400??

Jeff Bower

If you get this motor, and this controller along with the noted extras (about $50 added), it looks like you could get a 1HP VS lathe going...Maybe I'm forgetting something, but if you have a "pulley changer" lathe and could mount the motor, wouldn't this work...seems to simple to me? :huh:

Jeff, where you gonna get the DC from for the motor? Take 110vAC and make a 180 volt step up DC power supply at 5 amps to drive the motor or buy one heck of a lot of batteries to make up 180VDC. Let me see that would be about 15 Car batteries in series.:huh:

You are sure right there Charlie. I missed that fine print. Looks as though if you connect the controller to 240Ac it will give you the 180volt dc output for a particular hp motor. The heatsink must be to cool the voltage dropping resistor or the rectifier.

They would go a lot futher in selling these things if they put better info and a manual on the site.

This would make a great science project.:thumb:

So, yes it will work if you have the 240 vac to run it on. If you were trying to stay 120 vac, then no, only because the controller you selected does not have the output that you need for the selected motor. I like that motor and just about bet that if you call these folks that they can find a controller that will run this motor at full capacity on 120 vac if that is what your need is.