Shop/office being born!

looks good dave abd the gray and yelo looks good together kinda like a doctor office clean:) and the new residnts like it too from the looks of there tails:) on your drive way what did yu put in the crete for exposed agreagate? that color is sharp..

looks good dave abd the gray and yelo looks good together kinda like a doctor office clean:) and the new residnts like it too from the looks of there tails:) on your drive way what did yu put in the crete for exposed agreagate? that color is sharp..

Thanks for the kind comments on color. I actually hate the yellowish tint. I was working on electrical on day and the wife asked if I needed anything. I told her that I wanted a gallon of the Polyurethane based enamel that we use for trim but not a bright white. She kept asking about the color as she did not want to be the one to blame if I did not like it. I was hot and tired and threw a "Ivory" color switch plate to her and said to match that. I have regrets ever since. It is growing on me though and I am not about to change it now.

As far as the drive goes, after we poured the concrete and smooth finished it, we sprayed it down a "retardant" to slow the drying of the mortar on top. Then waited around 3 hours until I could walk on it and took a water hose with a stream spray tip and wased the mortar away. Its not difficult to do, once you have done it once or seen it done before. Some people will use "sugar water" to slow the drying down, but It does not seem to work as well to me.

You can do that with any concrete mix, but the appearance is usually better to order your concrete with pea gravel mix instead of larger rock.

Sorry to ramble on.

Thanks again.

i did a side walk with exposed aggreagate and dont it your way but we brushed it and ordered the mix to have a larger stone than pee gravel.. yours looked like it was seed to get the brown color or your stone was brown ,, mine came out the gray and red and black mixture not basic brown like yours be sure to seal it yearly or yu will have pop outs, when yu was away the cream yu weaken the stone adhesion some..and catches on the snow shovel too:rolleyes:

Small update

Here is a small update on the status of the shop/office build.

I have a few more cabinets built and installed, moved everything out of the office area into the shop (big mess to sort through) so I could start floor tile in the offcie/bath. Built the vanity for the bath and got it installed. still need to grout floors and install wall tiles and vanity top and of course run crown molding and finish the trim work. Also installed both televisions on the walls but really did not want to at this stage, but satellite guy is coming this afternoon.

Still need to build wall cabinets this weekend and start on wall tiles and vanity top. Budget is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over so I am going to build a vanity top and lay tile on it.

Last couple of pics are of Shop Dog #1 and Shop Dog #2, they are the main reason for the huge delay a few months back. Both are "rescued" dogs with a huge story behind each of them that I may tell one day if time permits.

By the way, I bought the harbor freight multi-tool this weekend and it worked great for what it cost (coupon for 29.99). I had to cut some cement board to access a drop ear 90 for the shower head in the wall that one of my guys decided to tighten the nipple beyond belief. I will discuss that with him today if I see him.

Regards,

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 92
Progress Update

Small progress update,

I have been busy with my real job and not a lot of time to work on the shop building much but here is where I am at now.

I got the outside painting and lighting finished (no pics), I picked up a air compressor a couple weeks ago, but have not had the time to install it yet.

We got the upper cabinets installed. The long run of uppers is not bowed as it appears in picture (not sure why it looks that way).

by the way, someone suggested full extension drawer slides with ball bearings to me, I love them, its the only way to go from now on in the shop.

I actually grouted the floors this morning, could not sleep and went to the shop around 1 a.m. and got that chore complete with the exception of cleaning.

And one pic of the security system in stand-by mode.

Attachments

• 100_0376.JPG
    100_0376.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_0375.JPG
    100_0375.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_0374.JPG
    100_0374.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_0373.JPG
    100_0373.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_0372.JPG
    100_0372.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_0371.JPG
    100_0371.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_0370.JPG
    100_0370.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_0369.JPG
    100_0369.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_0368.JPG
    100_0368.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_0324.JPG
    100_0324.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 53
Looking great, Dave. :thumb: If I ever build my own shop, I hope it has as nice of bathroom and office as yours. The shop dogs look like they're enjoying their new home, too. ;)

Minor trivia: The exposed aggregate concrete for cast-in-place slabs was first done at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs back in the mid to late '50s. (It was on the parade grounds, as I recall.) The technique had been used for precast (factory-made) panels, but never on cast-in-place work. My dad was part of the engineering team that came up with the process used at the Air Force Academy. :)

Minor trivia: The exposed aggregate concrete for cast-in-place slabs was first done at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs back in the mid to late '50s. (It was on the parade grounds, as I recall.) The technique had been used for precast (factory-made) panels, but never on cast-in-place work. My dad was part of the engineering team that came up with the process used at the Air Force Academy. :)

Cool, never really thought about it:D

i did a side walk with exposed aggreagate and dont it your way but we brushed it and ordered the mix to have a larger stone than pee gravel.. yours looked like it was seed to get the brown color or your stone was brown ,, mine came out the gray and red and black mixture not basic brown like yours be sure to seal it yearly or yu will have pop outs, when yu was away the cream yu weaken the stone adhesion some..and catches on the snow shovel too:rolleyes:

Actually what we did was order the concrete with a pea gravel mix (smaller rock) and after curing a bit, we spray it with sugar water to slow the curing on the top surface. After a couple hours, you take a water hose with a nozzle and literally wash the portland cement very carefully to expose the aggregate. Its not hard to do, but if you screw up and spray too deep, the aggregate will come loose.

Last weekend progress

As you can see what I woke up to last weekend, progress was a little slow. I needed to be outside spraying some trim work and doors. All I was able to do was clean the grout on the floors and just chill out.
I thought I left the snow behind me when I was overseas, but we had just a touch over 6" on the ground before it was over, that is a lot for central Mississippi. The shop dogs did not know what to think of it. Kind of freaked them out.

Hope to get the tile on the shower walls in this weekend.

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 31
Lookin pretty good. I see you have something every shop needs a couple of pile it benches. I'm not so sure about the pile it table saw though.:eek::rofl:

A thought...won't every little bump & ding show on the wall with the paint being so dark. Another question if & when the door slams what will the long term effect be on the TV?

Last edited:
Lookin pretty good. I see you have something every shop needs a couple of pile it benches. I'm not so sure about the pile it table saw though.:eek::rofl:

A thought...won't every little bump & ding show on the wall with the paint being so dark. Another question if & when the door slams what will the long term effect be on the TV?

The pile it tables will be leaving as soon as the job is finished and everything put in place. The pile it table saw is another thing however, it will remain and likley remain a pile it saw.

The wall is very stiff and I have already performed a slam test on it. I appears that all will be good on that.

Regards,