One of my castings turned into a pen

Alan Trout

Hey folks I thought you might like to see one of my castings after being turned. I cast 5 of these the other day and sent 3 of them with the pen blank exchange we have going on. I kept 2 of the blanks for myself. This is a birthday gift for a friend of my wife and myself. I replaced the gold button on the top of the cap with one that I turned from the blank.

These castings are a wood Alumalite resin blend and the finish on the pen is CA/BLO. I was really happy with this combo.

Alan

Attachments

• Pen Pic 1.jpg
    Pen Pic 1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Pen Pic 2.jpg
    Pen Pic 2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Pen Pic 3.jpg
    Pen Pic 3.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Pen Pic 4.jpg
    Pen Pic 4.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Pen Pic 5.jpg
    Pen Pic 5.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 39
Wow Allen, that's a pretty one. Great colors and the fit looks right on.

Question: With the resin, are CA and/or BLO really necessary? Seems sorta like putting varnish on a window (particularly the BLO, since I wouldn't think it would penetrate the resin surface. :huh: I was talking to another turner at a show recently, and he said one of the main reasons he likes using stabilized blanks is so he can bypass the finishing steps. (He does 1 to 2 thousand pens a year.)

I like the look and the colors. The pens are turned a bit fat for my tastes. But, then, my tastes are not your tastes. :rolleyes:
Good question, Vaughn. Why finish a finish?
And, I would like to know what stable solution that guy uses. Some still require something on them. I'm going to set up with the old stand-by of plexiglas dissolved in Acetone or MEC.

The reason you finish the pen is because of the exposed wood. It is the same way for coffee bean and other food stuffs in pens. If it was a sold resin pen you would not need a finish of course.

Far as the BLO I use it more as an accelerator than anything else. It is not a matter of penetration as much as a slow acting accelerator.

I understand what you mean about shape. I generally shape a pen for what enhances a blank. On these styles of blanks I like them a little fatter. I have never really liked the Jr. Gents that are turned with straight sides. They just look odd to me. I also like a little fatter pen to write with.

Thanks for the kind words.

Alan

Thanks for the additional info, Alan. I didn't realize the BLO accelerated the CA. Are you doing the casting under a vacuum or pressure, or just at normal atmospheric pressure? I had always assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that in stabilized blanks done under pressure or vacuum, the resin penetrated the wood or other organic matter.

I haven't spent any time on the pen forums researching this type of thing, so I'm sorry if these sound like ignorant questions. :) Thanks again.

Vaughn,

I do the casting under pressure. I take my pot up to 120PSI which is high and I don't suggest any go that high, but I have found when I have molds packed tight that the extra pressure works better to penetrate the organic material and helps eliminate bubbles or pin holes.

With the Alumilite it has about a 5 to 6 min. gel time so you have to work fast. Pressure has to be used. I think it is the best for mixed material blanks because of this fast set time.

I am no expert but if I can answer any questions just ask. If I don't know that is what I will tell you.

Thanks

Alan.