Box Elder Burl NE Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the other piece that came from the box elder burl Curt Fuller sent me. More of the story is here. It's about 5 3/4" across and 3 1/4" high. It has the same finish as the bowl...Formby's Tung Oil Finish buffed with tripoli and Renaissance wax.

HF053 - 03 800.jpg HF053 - 05 800.jpg HF053 - 02 800.jpg

It's different, but LOML likes it. ;) Next time I have a similar piece I think I'll try to do a smooth top with a spiked collar. As I mentioned in another thread, doing so with this one would have left it shorter than I wanted. (I would have had more depth on this one if I wasn't such a chicken with the McNaughton rig. I just didn't want to risk messing up the mother bowl.)

Comments and critiques, good or bad, are always welcome -

Vaughn you are the maestro. Great piece. Top reminds me of an Amethyst crystal when the rock broken open shows the crystal. This might be a nice piece to dye with color.:)

Thanks for the comprehensive answers on the previous post.:thumb:

A thought that has occured to me about turning in general is that people looking to acquire a piece such as this one, have no idea of the skill and complexity of making it. Just having made simple things I have a much greater appreciation of all the craftsmanship never mind artistic talent that goes into a beautiful turned piece.

For those that sell their work, I suggest that this is something that needs to be conveyed somehow to the purchases in order to enhance the appreciation of the object. Probably applies to all woodworking.

Don't think I have seen a burr worked like this before and I can't understand why as it's really effective. I don't get my hands on many myself (more's the pity) but if I do this is something I certainly would be proud to do.

Pete