Thread: Powergrip jaws trial run

Powergrip jaws trial run

Picture 1 & 2- New steady rest used on this bowl which was cut less than 1/8 as i hollowed down slowly. Slowly because i didnt know what to expect when the walls got thinner and thinner. Without the rest i would get chatter easy and even blow some of bowls apart due to warping,lack of support when it got thin.... etc.
    I slid the 3 arms up to where they were just touching and locked them in......i cut the walls down thin just to see if it would chatter actually - no chatter and im glad i got the rest because deeper hollowing is alot easier now i believe.............

Picture 3 & 4 - New recess cutter tool arrived today and i used it to cut a dovetail for the powergip jaws i am trying out. I made a recess in the bottom of the bowl in the first picture for expansion. Could have been a mistake because it was a awful big diameter hole i made. The recess cutter worked well and the powergrip held very very well. I probably should have made tennon and used the powergrip in compression mode it could have been turned down or off i suppose......... but i think it will turn out ok.......ill post pics later of the bottom.........

One thing that i do like about the powergrip jaws is that with the recess/expansion type of mounting i am avoiding turning off the tennon and flattening out and sanding the bottom level......meaning i turn the recess and finish it first......then shape the bowl and hollow.......when i take it off im done.....
    I do need to try the compression on a tennon next.........maybe tomm if im off work.......all in all i like how hard these jaws hold the work pc.......and with the steady rest
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steady-1 (600 x 450).jpg   steady-2 (600 x 450).jpg   tennon (600 x 450).jpg   powergrip (600 x 450).jpg  
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 05-23-2009 at 06:23 AM.

A good steady rest can sure make a difference, huh?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Dan, that sure looks like one well build steady rest!

It looks like it has one extra, or optional spot to make the bowl steady into a spindle steady, only using two of the three wheels, is that correct?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Very cool steady rest, Dan. Thanks for the look at how you're using it. Where is it available? Pricey, no doubt?
    Why has common sense
    become so uncommon?

My Woodwork Site

Stuart - Yes there is a extra arm that can be added if needed. You can also buy these steady rests with many more arms or... as you like from from the theokpsindoctor........take a look at his website if you get a chance and you will see all the ones he makes.........

Gord - I think they run close to $300. When i called him he gave me a good deal on the one in the picture. But.....with a bit but in this.....I have eliminated chatter and the warping problem i was having..............works very very well................I looked around alot before getting this one and was not impressed by the side steady from Oneway, Jet, etc - (alot more than 300 by the way), or most anyothers i saw. Homemade works ok but nothing like this...........
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 05-23-2009 at 02:11 PM.