Powergrip jaws trial run

Dan Mosley

Picture 1 & 2- New steady rest used on this bowl which was cut less than 1/8 as i hollowed down slowly. Slowly because i didnt know what to expect when the walls got thinner and thinner. Without the rest i would get chatter easy and even blow some of bowls apart due to warping,lack of support when it got thin.... etc.
I slid the 3 arms up to where they were just touching and locked them in......i cut the walls down thin just to see if it would chatter actually - no chatter and im glad i got the rest because deeper hollowing is alot easier now i believe.............

Picture 3 & 4 - New recess cutter tool arrived today and i used it to cut a dovetail for the powergip jaws i am trying out. I made a recess in the bottom of the bowl in the first picture for expansion. Could have been a mistake because it was a awful big diameter hole i made. The recess cutter worked well and the powergrip held very very well. I probably should have made tennon and used the powergrip in compression mode it could have been turned down or off i suppose......... but i think it will turn out ok.......ill post pics later of the bottom.........

One thing that i do like about the powergrip jaws is that with the recess/expansion type of mounting i am avoiding turning off the tennon and flattening out and sanding the bottom level......meaning i turn the recess and finish it first......then shape the bowl and hollow.......when i take it off im done.....
I do need to try the compression on a tennon next.........maybe tomm if im off work.......all in all i like how hard these jaws hold the work pc.......and with the steady rest

Attachments

• Steady-1 (600 x 450).jpg
    Steady-1 (600 x 450).jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 56
  • steady-2 (600 x 450).jpg
    steady-2 (600 x 450).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 55
  • tennon (600 x 450).jpg
    tennon (600 x 450).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 55
  • powergrip (600 x 450).jpg
    powergrip (600 x 450).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Dan, that sure looks like one well build steady rest!

It looks like it has one extra, or optional spot to make the bowl steady into a spindle steady, only using two of the three wheels, is that correct?

Cheers!

Stuart - Yes there is a extra arm that can be added if needed. You can also buy these steady rests with many more arms or... as you like from from the theokpsindoctor........take a look at his website if you get a chance and you will see all the ones he makes.........

Gord - I think they run close to $300. When i called him he gave me a good deal on the one in the picture. But.....with a bit but in this.....I have eliminated chatter and the warping problem i was having..............works very very well................I looked around alot before getting this one and was not impressed by the side steady from Oneway, Jet, etc - (alot more than 300 by the way), or most anyothers i saw. Homemade works ok but nothing like this...........

Last edited: