Picture frame

Roger Newby

Hi all!

My daughter does stained glass work and asked me to make her a frame with a "tropical look".:huh: I came up with this idea while cleaning up some scraps of SYP.

Each segment of end grain is cut to 4 1/2 degrees on both sides times 40 pieces equals 360 degrees. After numerous flip-flops of each piece to try to create a wave pattern, I glued it together with a big hose clamp. Then I made an edge band of brass and heated it up so I could shrink fit it to the frame.

The inside dia. is about 17 1/2" and outside 20". The finish is a couple of coats of Watco oil, the end grain really sucks it up, and about 5 coats of blond shellac with 400 grit wet sand between each coat.

I expect she will try something oval next:eek:... just to keep me on my toes.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 66
Wow, I'm amazed that you were able to get that to close with no gaps considering that even 1/8 of a degree off per side would have added up to 10! Did it take a lot of hand fitting and sanding to get it all together?

Nope, that was just a lumber yard 2X6 that I cut a chunk out of. Ran it through the jointer to get the angles. After the pattern suited me I clamped it dry and every few days snugged the clamp a little more. Construction lumber runs higher in moisture content and by continuing with the clamping for about 2 weeks I think I coaxed the pieces to fit together. When the time came to glue it up it almost fell into place.

Thank you for your comments...I must admit I was rather surprised by the final results.:D There's another round one coming up made of padauk and yet to be decided inlay:dunno: Stay tuned. Since I'm sitting home recovering from back surgery, I've got time for some smaller projects (under 25 lbs.)

Roger