what do I use for cabinet/sink vanity walls in small bathroom?

allen levine

I have a tiny bathroom stuffed into a corner of an attic bedroom.
We squeezed a tiny shower stall in, by moving a wall a few inches, (done by professional), and ripped out all the old walls, installed cement board, etc....
There is a tiny vanity with sink, and we bought a cheapo borg white junk cabinet and a cheap shelving to put in years ago.
the sink has a chip, it needs to be replaced, and Im an idiot when it comes to pipes and running water, but before I hire someone to put in a sink, I want to build a vanity with attached cabinets. I can make doors, raised panels out of ash, I have alot of ash, but what should I build the sides and bases out of?
I want to keep this build very inexpensive, I have all the ash I need, I dont want to buy ash plywood.

you can use some borg birch allen and just use you ash for the doors and frame work or you can get some borg oak ply and use some of your ash again and stain it all the same. will be close to grain structure. or you can just paint and then you can use anything you want.. in a bathroom the size your talking, white would look just fine and easily fixed if something happend.. and yu need a simple project. you have made the rest of look bad enough for one month:rofl::thumb:

it doesnt make much sense for me to start painting walls and putting up molding inside, when the weather is warm is when I should be working in the garage. when it starts to get a bit colder again, Ill start the work in the house. right now I just want to keep building. just not sure if the vanity cabinet or entertainment unit comes first. I want the entertainment unit to match the coffee table.gotta look into the price of smoked glass for doors.its all mostly white wood.gonna keep my planer and jointer blades spinning, and my nosy neighbor up early alot, ALOT

Last edited:
it doesnt make much sense for me to start painting walls and putting up molding inside, when the weather is warm is when I should be working in the garage. when it starts to get a bit colder again, Ill start the work in the house. right now I just want to keep building. just not sure if the vanity cabinet or entertainment unit comes first. I want the entertainment unit to match the coffee table.gotta look into the price of smoked glass for doors.its all mostly white wood.gonna keep my planer and jointer blades spinning, and my nosy neighbor up early alot, ALOT

go getter Allen,, keep up the good fight bud.:thumb::rofl:

While a sink/vanity combination would work, have you given any thought to a pedestal sink and building a cabinet into a space on one of the walls?

Small bathrooms fill up fast with a vanity; and a pedestal sink leaves an open feeling.

frank, the bathroom is shoved into the eves of the attic.
ONe half you can stand, the other half the ceiling sinks down to 3 feet.
The wall between the bedroom and bathroom, is against the toilet, and showerstall, no room for cabs there, the other wall is 3 feet high, the mirror in back of the toilet, not actually over the sink. No wall space for any cabinets, only a tiny bit of floor space next to the sink and then 2-3 feet.

maybe I shouldnt go near water pipes

I was trying to clean up the shop a bit today, just waiting on poly to dry, so I decided to make a few shelves, and wanted to move the outlet box, so I stuck the screwdriver into the screw to move it, even with my eyes the screws were visible and open enough, but when the shaft hit the two wires, woweeeeeee! my son saw the sparks from outside.

Maybe I should leave things I dont know anything about to guys that do.
like attaching sinks and electric outlets.